Proposal Guidelines for Scientific, Technical, Medical, and Scholarly
Please include the following information in your proposal for a book, journal, or electronic product:
- Subject discipline
- Tentative title (and subtitle, if any)
Primary Author Information (provide for any coauthors as well)
- Position and affiliation
- Curriculum vitae (provide for primary author; include brief bios for any coauthors or contributing authors)
- Mailing address
- Work phone
- Home phone (if we may call you there)
- Type of publication (book, journal, reference work, database in all media)
- Overview: Include a brief description of the publication’s objective and explain exactly what it will be about. How will your selection, organization, or treatment of the subject encourage readers to buy the publication?
- Table of contents: Include a table of contents indicating chapters and subdivisions within chapters, as well as special materials to be included in the appendixes. If your proposed publication is a periodical, list a few sample article titles and columns or departments to be featured.
- Sample chapter: If available, please include a sample chapter. If you have published other articles and books, attach a list of those materials.
- Frequency of updates: For a journal or other type of periodical, indicate how frequently it will be issued.
- Market need: Explain why there is a need for the proposed publication. Have there been changes in this field to cause a need for it, or is there a gap in the existing literature that needs to be filled?
- Primary market: Indicate the audience(s) for this material (e.g., academic/research, graduate students, professionals). Be as specific as possible. If the book is aimed at graduate students, indicate whether it is a primary or supplemental text.
- Secondary market: List groups with an occasional need for this material.
- Sources: List in order of importance the professional societies and organizations and professional or trade publications whose members or readers would be likely subscribers.
- Competition: List publications that compete with or are similar to the one you propose, describing their weaknesses and strengths and how your publication will be superior. Provide as much data on competitive products as possible (publisher, date written, price, page length, etc.).
- Books: How many manuscript pages (typewritten, letter-size, double-spaced) do you anticipate to fully cover your topic? How many pages of appendixes?
- Periodicals: How many pages per issue?
- Electronic product: Please provide a description of the platform and the interface.
- Timetable: Please provide your best estimate for completing and delivering the final manuscript.
Send your proposal to:
In the Americas:
John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
111 River Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030-5774
In Europe, the Middle East, and Africa:
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
John Wiley & Sons, Singapore Pte. Ltd.
1 Fusionopolis Walk
#07-01 Solaris South Tower
John Wiley & Sons Australia, Ltd
155 Cremorne Street
Richmond, Victoria 3121