Seven Wiley-Blackwell texts were honored at the annual British Medical Association (BMA) medical book competition ceremony in London on September 8, 2009, with two winning first prizes, four highly commended, and one commended. In their indicated categories, they are:
First prize winners:
- Gastroenterology: Practical Gastrointestinal Endoscopy: The Fundamentals, 6e, by Peter Cotton and Christopher Williams
- Paediatrics: Paediatrics: Clinical Cases Uncovered, by Jonathan Round, Lucy Stradling, and Alice Myers
- Cardiology: ECG at a Glance, by Patrick Davey
- Endocrinology: Practical Manual of Diabetic Foot Care, 2e, by Michael E. Edmonds, Alethea V. M. Foster, and Lee Sanders
- Haematology: Inherited Bleeding Disorders in Women, by Christine A. Lee, Rezan A. Kadir, and Peter A. Konides
- Mental Health: Rutter’s Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 5e, by Sir Michael Rutter and others
- Gastroenterology: Principles of Clinical Gastroenterology by Tadataka Yamada.
The new Wiley-Blackwell online journal Evolutionary Applications has been honored as Best New Journal 2009 by the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP). The award was conferred on September 10 during the ALPSP International Conference, with ALPSP noting that Evolutionary Applications "has successfully targeted an emerging field and is exploiting the online environment and communities in its development." The journal publishes top research in applied evolutionary biology, demonstrating the significant impact made by evolutionary tools and hypotheses in questions of social and economic relevance.
Two Wiley cookbooks have won awards from the New York Book Show, in the category Special Trade, Cookbook: New American Table, by Marcus Samuelsson, and New Classic Family Meals, by Mark Peel. The New York Book Show is an annual competition sponsored by the Bookbinders' Guild of New York to recognize excellence in design and production. The award placement (first, second, third, or honorable mention) will be announced at the 24th Annual New York Book Show, which will be held Tuesday, March 9, at the Manhattan Center. The "Best of the Best" overall winner will also be announced, and all winning titles will be exhibited.
The Jossey-Bass title The Reading Teacher's Word-a-Day: 180 Ready-to-Use Lessons to Expand Vocabulary, Teach Roots, and Prepare for Standardized Tests, by Dr. Edward B. Fry, is the winner of a 16th Annual Teachers' Choice Award for the Classroom, as announced on September 10, 2009. The Teachers' Choice awards are given by Learning® magazine to recognize "the very best in classroom-tested, teacher-recommended products."