One-Minute Discipline: Classroom Management Strategies That Work
October 2002, Jossey-Bass
Each classroom-tested strategy is presented in a simple-to-use format for quick reference that shows: What the technique or idea is, Why you need it, and How to make it work. Plus, the techniques are complemented by support ideas, time-saving reproducible forms, lively illustrations, and interesting, reproducible quote about teaching.
For easy to use, it s all printed in a big, 8-1/2" x 11" lay-flat format for easy photocopying and its organized into 10 sections:
- PHILOSOPHY provides a philosophical framework for the
strategies presented in the book, such as "The Three C s of
- KNOW YOU "CLIENTS" features activities and surveys,
including "Icebreaker: Backpack Introductions" and the "student
Survey," to help you learn about your students and their
- HOME AND SCHOOL gives you support ideas and reproducible
forms for improving the home school connection, such as
"Newsletters" and "Parent Homework Letter."
- THE FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOL offers tops and ready-to-use
tools for getting the school year off to a positive start,
including "Classroom Rules Checklist" and "Classroom Welcome
- VOCABULARY presents effective techniques for modifying
student behavior, such as "Grandma s Law," which motivates students
with a payoff ("desert") for completing a task.
- TECHNIQUE, STRATEGIES, AND GOOD IDEAS is packed with
easy-to-use ideas, including "Noise Level Control" and "One-Minute
Correction," for solving discipline problems.
- TEACHING SKILLS provides practical procedures that
enhance your teaching and decrease disruptive behavior, such as
"Transition Time" to reduce the time spent between activities and a
"Teacher Self-Assessment" to help you evaluate and improve your
- GREAT "LITTLE GEMS" offers a variety of helpful
discipline and teaching strategies. For example, "Token Economies"
shows you how to use a pint system to reward good behavior.
- SURVIVAL SKILLS gives you invaluable ideas for
conserving energy and relieving stress, such as "Crisis Management"
and the "24-Hour Rule" for handling difficult situations.
- FORMS features time-saving, reproducible forms, including "Substitute Teacher Form," "Office Discipline Ticket," and "Student/Teacher/Parent Action Contract."
About This Teacher's Resource v
Section 1 Philosophy 1
Section 2 Know Your "Clients" 17
Section 3 Home and School 57
Section 4 The First Week of School 75
Section 5 Vocabulary 93
Section 6 Techniques, Strategies, and Good Ideas 105
Section 7 Teaching Skills 147
Section 8 Great "Little Gems" 189
Section 9 Survival Skills 207
Section 10 Forms 225