Symbian for Software Leaders: Principles of Successful Smartphone Development Projects
- How to tame the awesome inner complexity of smartphone technology
- Optimal project team organisation, combining agility and reliability
- The design and the philosophy behind key features of Symbian OS
- The potential trouble spots of smartphone integration, testing, and optimisation
- How to receive the full benefit of the diverse skills in the extensive Symbian partner ecosystem
- The methods that are most likely to deliver commercial success when using Symbian OS
- The wider significance of Symbian OS skills and expertise in the evolving mobile marketplace
- The particular importance of software leaders in bringing breakthrough smartphone products to the market
PART 1: SYMBIAN IN CONTEXT.
1. At the heart of the smartphone revolution.
2. The big picture of a Symbian OS project.
3. Involving ISVs.
4. Twenty reasons why smartphones will win.
PART 2: THRIVING ON SCALE.
5. Managing large projects.
6. Managing defects.
7. Managing configurations.
8. Managing integration.
9. Managing interfaces.
10. Managing testing.
11. Managing tools.
12. Managing plans and change.
13. Managing uncertainty.
14. Simplifying smartphone projects.
PART 3: SYMBIAN'S DESIGN PHILOSOPHY.
15. Design goals for Symbian OS.
16. Designing for efficiency.
17. Designing for robustness.
18. Designing for usability.
19. Designing for longevity.
20. Designing for smartphones.
PART 4: HUMAN ASPECTS OF SMARTPHONE PROJECTS.
21. The essential role of the project manager.
22. The essential role of the support network.
23. The essential role of renewal.
Appendix 1: Annotated glossary of abbreviations.
Appendix 2: Selected bibliography.
Appendix 3: Acknowledgements.
David has an MA in Mathematics from Cambridge University, and has served as Symbian's representative on the Board of Directors for the Open Mobile Alliance. He has been a director of Symbian (and before that, Psion Software) since 1996.