Minor Surgical Procedures for Nurses and Allied Healthcare Professional
With contributions from multi-disciplinary professionals, all experts in their field, fifteen accessible and well-illustrated chapters examine the key themes of
- Making an Assessment
- Local Anaesthesia
- Surgical Techniques
- Training and Education
- Future Developments
Minor Surgical Procedures for Nurses and Allied Healthcare Professionals provides invaluable information on new role developments, the many challenges in 'getting started' along with topical issues such as informed patient consent and an overview of potential patient reactions. Ultimately it explores and advises on the fundamental skills, both communication and technical, which are key to success.
Part One: Elementary Requirements.
1. Starting Out: The Wider Picture (Shirley Martin).
2. Modernisation: Role Redesign to Optimise Patient Outcomes (John Beesley).
3. Training and Education (Barry Paraskeva).
4. Nurse Prescribing (Ann Clarridge).
5. Medico-Legal Aspects of Non-Medical Practitioner Roles (Verity Danziger).
Part Two: Information Giving and Documentation.
6. Communication Skills for Minor Surgery (Debra Nestel).
7. Preoperative Assessment (Anurag Patel and Sanjay Purkayastha).
8. Perioperative Management: Consent and Follow–up (Jennifer Simpson).
9. Documentation (Anurag Patel and Sanjay Purkayastha).
Part Three: Clinical Practices.
10. Maintaining Asepsis: Preventing Infection of the Surgical Site (Christine McDougall).
11. The Theatre Environment and Equipment (Parvinderpal Sains).
12. Recognising Skin Lesions (Julia Schofield).
13. Basic Anatomy and Techniques of Excising Skin Lesions (Gregory Thomas and Sanjay Purkayastha; Illustrations Olivia Thomas).
14. Local Anaesthesia for Minor Operative Procedures (David Lomax and Kausi Rao).
15. Operative Techniques for Minor Surgical Procedures (Rajesh Aggarwal).
16. Haemostasis and Cautery for Minor Procedures (Parvinderpal Sains).
17. Future Prospects (Shirley Martin).
Glossary and Role Definitions.