The Leader on the Couch: A Clinical Approach to Changing People and Organizations
September 2006, Jossey-Bass
About the Author.
1. Introduction: The Clinical Paradigm.
PART ONE. ENTERING THE INNER THEATER OF LEADERS.
2. The Narcissistic Leader: Myth and Reality.
3. A Parade of Personalities.
4. Leaders and Followers: Moving Away from People.
5. Leaders and Followers: Moving Against People.
6. Elation and Its Vicissitudes.
7. The Impostor Syndrome: The Shadow Side of Success.
PART TWO. CHANGING MINDSETS.
8. Can Leaders Change? Yes, But Only If They Want To.
9. Taking the Road Less Traveled.
10. Coach or Couch, Anybody?
11. Group Leadership Coaching.
PART THREE. UNDERSTANDING THE PSYCHODYNAMICS OF GROUPS AND ORGANIZATIONS.
12. The Unconscious Life of Groups and Organizations.
13. Unraveling the Mystery of Organizations.
14. Conclusion: Creating “Authentizotic” Organizations.
The Financial Times, Le Capital, Wirtschaftswoche and The Economist have judged Manfred one of the world’s leading thinkers on leadership.
A clinical professor of leadership, he is Chair of Leadership Development and director of INSEAD's Global Leadership Center. He is responsible for the top management seminar, The Challenge of Leadership: Creating Reflective Leaders and the program Consulting and Coaching for Change.
Manfred has received INSEAD's distinguished teacher award 5 times and has also held professorships at McGill University, Montreal, Harvard Business School and Ecole des Hautes Etudes Commerciales.
Author, co-author or editor of over 22 books and over 200 articles, his work has featured regularly in The New York Times, The Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, Business Week, Fortune and many other professional press publications.
"As Manfred Kets de Vries, a professor at Insead business school, shows in a new book, the psychological condition of leaders can have a profound impact on all those who work under them." (Financial Times, October 2006)
"Fascinating Freudian look at chief executives and their occasionally rather damaged psychologies. Read this ..." (FTmagazine, December 2006)
"...Manfred Kets de Vries, sets out to change people ... for the better by revealing the 'dark side' of leadership behaviour..." (Professional Consultancy, January 2007)
The Leader on the Couch: A Clinical Approach to Changing People and Organizations (US $39.95)
Total List Price: US $69.90
Discounted Price: US $52.42 (Save: US $17.48)