Caring for People with Learning Disabilities
About the Editors.
List of Contributors.
Chapter 1: Working with adults with a learning disability (Jackie Kelly).
Chapter 2: Communication and adults with learning disabilities (Alan Randle).
Chapter 3: The importance of managing behaviours which pose challenges (Costas Joannides).
Chapter 4: Protecting vulnerable adults with learning disabilities (Debra Fearns).
Chapter 5: Mental health issues and adults with learning disabilities (Paul Maloret).
Chapter 6: Epilepsy and adults with learning disability (Debra Fearns).
Chapter 7: Health promotion perspectives for adults with learning disabilities (Debra Fearns, Jackie Kelly, Paul Maloret, Malcolm McIver and Tracey-Jo Simpson).
Chapter 8: Bio-physical aspects of learning disability and Down’s syndrome (Frank Garvey and Jacky Vincent).
Chapter 9: Legislation and learning disabilities (Malcolm McIver).
Chapter 10: Parents with learning disabilities (April Hammond).
Debra Fearnes, Senior Lecturer, Learning Disability Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Herfordshire.
- Specifically related to adults and adolescents with learning disabilities. The book addresses the needs of adults and adolescents with learning disabilities for student nurses.
- Help students understand the fundamental aspects of clinical practice in order to provide safe and effective care to adults with learning disabilities in various situations.
- Useful for the student being supervised from a distance.
- Text is based on the principles of care that will encourage the student to grow and develop.
- Practice-based handbook or manual with a sound evidence base.
- Helps the student develop a questioning approach to care.
- Written in an accessible, user-friendly manner that results in students developing a greater insight into the complexities associated with nursing practice.