Multiplexed Networks for Embedded Systems: CAN, LIN, FlexRay, Safe-by-Wire...
This book provides a thorough and comprehensive introduction to automotive multiplexed network buses, covering the technical principles, components, implementation issues and applications.
- Presents a thorough coverage of the controller area network (CAN) protocol, including information on physical layers, conformity problems, hardware and software tools, and application layers.
- Gives a detailed description of the new local interconnect network (LIN) bus, setting out its developments, properties, problems and ways to overcome these.
- Examines the existing and emerging network buses such as time-triggered CAN (TTCAN), FlexRay and X-by-Wire.
- Explores the possibilities for linking the various buses that are discussed, explaining how the Fail-Safe-System basis chip (SBC) and other gateways are designed and constructed.
- Analyses wired and wireless internal and external serial links, including Safe-by-Wire plus, I2C, Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST), remote keyless entry, tyre pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) and Bluetooth.
A valuable guide to embedded systems for a range of applications, Multiplexed Networks for Embedded Systems: CAN, LIN, FlexRay, Safe-by-Wire…is essential reading for electronics engineers and researchers developing electronics for the automotive industry. It is also useful for practising aerospace engineers and other practitioners interested in the application of network technologies, and advanced students taking courses on automotive and embedded system design.
Part A CAN: from concept to reality.
1 The CAN bus: general.
1.1 Concepts of bus access and arbitration.
1.2 Error processing and management.
1.3 Increase your word power.
1.4 From concept to reality.
1.5 Historical context of CAN.
1.6 Patents, licences and certification.
2 CAN: its protocol, its properties, its novel features.
2.1 Definitions of the CAN protocol: ‘ISO 11898-1’.
2.2 Errors: their intrinsic properties, detection and processing.
2.3 The rest of the frame.
2.4 CAN 2.0B.
3 The CAN physical layer.
3.2 The ‘CAN bit’.
3.3 Nominal bit time.
3.4 CAN and signal propagation.
3.5 Bit synchronization.
3.6 Network speed.
4 Medium, implementation and physical layers in CAN.
4.1 The range of media and the types of coupling to the network.
4.2 High speed CAN, from 125 kbits -1 to 1 Mbits -1: ISO 11898-2.
4.3 Low speed CAN, from 10 to 125 kbits -1.
4.4 Optical media.
4.5 Electromagnetic media.
4.6 Pollution and EMC conformity.
5 Components, applications and tools for CAN.
5.1 CAN components.
5.3 Application layers and development tools for CAN.
6 Time-triggered protocols – FlexRay.
6.1 Some general remarks.
6.2 Event-triggered and time-triggered aspects.
6.3 TTCAN – Time-triggered communication on CAN.
6.4 Towards high-speed, X-by-Wire and redundant systems.
Part B New multiplexed bus concepts: LIN, FlexRay, Fail-safe SBC, Safe-by-Wire.
7 LIN – Local Interconnect Network.
7.2 Basic concept of the LIN 2.0 protocol.
7.3 Cost and market.
7.4 Conformity of LIN.
7.5 Examples of components for LIN 2.0.
8 Think ‘Bus’, think ‘Fail-safe SBC’, ‘Gateways’.
8.1 Fail-safe SBCs: their multiple aspects and reasons for using them.
8.2 The strategy and principles of re-use.
8.3 Demo board.
8.5 Managing the application layers.
9.1 A little history.
9.2 Safe-by-Wire Plus.
9.3 Some words of technology.
10 Audio-video buses.
10.1 I2C Bus.
10.2 The D2B (Domestic digital) bus.
10.3 The MOST (Media oriented systems transport) bus.
10.4 The IEEE 1394 bus or ‘FireWire’.
11 RF communication and wireless mini-networks.
11.1 Radio-frequency communication: internal.
11.2 Radio-frequency communication: external.
11.3 Wireless networks.
Part C Appendices.
Appendix A. CiA (CAN in Automation).
Appendix B. Essential references.
Appendix C. Further reading.
Appendix D. Useful addresses.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Multiplexed Networks for Embedded Systems: CAN, LIN, FlexRay, Safe-by-Wire... (US $176.00)
-and- FlexRay and its Applications: Real Time Multiplexed Network (US $139.00)
Total List Price: US $315.00
Discounted Price: US $236.25 (Save: US $78.75)