Infection and Hearing Impairment
1. Basic Anatomy and Physiology of the Ear (J. Irwin).
2. Development of the Ear and of Hearing (V.E. Newton).
3. Epidemiology of Infection as a Cause of Hearing Loss (A. Smith and C. Mathers),
4. Cytomegalovirus (S.B. Boppana and W.J. Britt).
5. Rubella (P.A. Tookey).
6. Mumps (K.E. Wright).
7. Measles (B. Rima).
8. Toxoplasma Infection and the Ear (B. Stray-Pedersen).
9. Sexually Transmitted Infections (P. Turner).
10. Otitis Media (J.J. Gröte and P.J. Vallely).
11. Meningitis and Hearing Loss (K.J. Mutton and E.B. Kaczmarski).
12. Infectious Diseases and Hearing in the Tropics (R. Hinchcliffe and S. Prasansuk).
13. Ototoxic Drugs (R. Taylor and A. Forge).
14. Laboratory Diagnosis, Treatment and Prevention of Infection Leading to Hearing Loss (P.E. Klapper and P.J. Vallely).
15. The Experience of Deafness – Psychosocial Effects (A. Young).
Dr Pamela Vallely, Human Communication and Deafness, School of Education and Virology, LMAG, School of Medicine, The University of Manchester, UK