PCs Just the Steps For Dummies
- Hardware basics and peripherals, including printers, faxes, and scanners
- Working with Windows XP, including managing memory and working with files and folders
- Working with sound and video
- Going online, searching the Web with Internet Explorer, and e-mailing with Outlook Express
- Networking, including configuration and connection and sharing folders or printers
- Protecting and troubleshooting your PC
With practical organization and a task-oriented approach, this book will have you inspired instead of intimidated. You won’t get an unabridged history of computers and a lot of gibberish; you will get clear, easy-to-follow instructions that help you get your tasks done efficiently on your PC.
Part I: Hardware Basics.
Chapter 1: First Look at Your PC.
Chapter 2: Using Discs and Drives.
Chapter 3: Working with Input Devices.
Chapter 4: Setting Up Accessibility Features.
Chapter 5: Working with Printers, Faxes, and Scanners.
Chapter 6: Setting Up Your Laptop.
Part II: The Brains of the Beast.
Chapter 7: Working with Windows XP.
Chapter 8: Managing Memory.
Chapter 9: Setting Up Software.
Chapter 10: Working with Files and Folders.
Chapter 11: Exploring Windows Assets.
Part III: Working with Your Display, Multimedia, and Graphics.
Chapter 12: Setting Up Your Display.
Chapter 13: Working with Sound.
Chapter 14: Working with Digital Imaging and Video.
Part IV: Going Online.
Chapter 15: Accessing the Internet.
Chapter 16: Browsing the Web with Internet Explorer.
Chapter 17: Exchanging E-Mail with Outlook Express.
Part V: Networking.
Chapter 18: Setting Up a Network.
Chapter 19: Connecting Across a Network.
Part VI: Security and Troubleshooting.
Chapter 20: Making Windows XP Secure.
Chapter 21: Troubleshooting Hardware Problems.
Chapter 22: Troubleshooting Software Problems.