The Biology of Cancer, 2nd Edition
The application of biology to the delivery of cancer care is playing an ever-increasing role in the management of these diseases. The Biology of Cancer: Second Edition provides details of the most recent developments in cancer care and is divided into three sections:
- Understanding Cancer – examines predisposing factors to developing cancer, diagnosis and its implications on the individual and society.
- The Science of Cancer – a closer look at the cell, genetics, the immune system, tumour markers and monoclonal antibodies.
- Research and Treatment – exploring translational oncology, applying research methodology to cancer research and research ethics relating to cancer.
This fully updated edition also looks at evidence-based research that can be translated directly to patient care and gives details recent developments. Written by experienced, practicing healthcare professionals, The Biology of Cancer: Second Edition can easily be applied to patient care. It is an informative text for students, newly qualified nurses and practising oncology/palliative care nurses.
Part 1. Understanding Cancer.
Chapter 1. What is cancer?(Janice Gabriel).
Chapter 2. Predisposing factors to developing cancer (Janice Gabriel).
Chapter 3. Cancer: what does a diagnosis mean for an individual and what are the implications for society? (Janice Gabriel).
Part II. The Science of Cancer.
Chapter 4. The Cell (Louise Knight).
Chapter 5. Cytotoxic Chemotherapy (Debbie Wright).
Chapter 6. What are DNA and RNA? (Scott C. Edmunds).
Chapter 7. Genetics and Cancer (Scott C. Edmunds).
Chapter 8. The immune system (Helmout Modjtahedi & Ailsa Clarke).
Chapter 9. Tumour Markers (F. Guy Gabriel).
Chapter 10. Monoclonal antibodies (Helmout Modjtahedi).
Part III. From Research to Treatment.
Chapter 11. What is translational oncology research? (Elaine Lennan).
Chapter 12. The application of research methodology to cancer research (Carmel Sheppard).
Chapter 13. Research ethics relating to cancer (David Carpenter).
- Evidence based
- Written by practicing health care professionals
- Research applied directly to patient care
- Essential information in one text
- Vital information for professional development