Mathematics for the Green Industry: Essential Calculations for Horticulture and Landscape Professionals
Designed for both students and practitioners in the Green Industry, this book offers full coverage of the calculations necessary to effectively, safely, and economically manage a Green Industry operation. The authors provide clear explanations of all relevant mathematical principles and cover calculations inherent in all aspects of the Green Industry, from determining area and volume, to the application of fertilizers, pesticides, and growth regulators, to preparing design and installation cost estimates. Coverage includes computations for:
- Landscape installation and maintenance.
- Greenhouse, nursery, and interior landscape operation.
- Parks and recreation maintenance.
- Turf management, including lawn care, sports turf, and sod production.
- Proper application of fertilizers, pesticides, and plant-growth regulators.
- Proper calibration of application equipment.
Additional features include multiple computations you can work through, appendices with units of measure and equivalents, and a table with conversion factors.
About the Authors.
Part 1: Mathematical Principles.
Chapter 1. Basic Math Skills.
Chapter 2. Measurement and Calculations with Measured Values.
Chapter 3. Geometry.
Part 2: Green Industry Applications.
Chapter 4. Calculating the Area of Landscape Features.
Chapter 5. Fertilizer Calculations.
Chapter 6. Pesticide and Plant Growth Regulator Calculations.
Chapter 7. Calibration of Application Equipment.
Chapter 8. Mathematical Applications for the Turfgrass Industry.
Chapter 9. Mathematical Applications for the Landscape Industry.
Chapter 10. Mathematical Applications for the Greenhouse, Nursery, and Interior Landscape Industries.
Appendix A. Metric System Prefixes.
Appendix B. Tables of Equivalents.
Appendix C. Table of Conversion Factors.
Appendix D. Squaring-Up Gardens and garden Structures.
Appendix E. Solutions to Practice Problems.
Nancy H. Agnew, PhD, is Student Programs Instructor at Longwood Gardens, Inc., Kennett Square, Pennsylvania. She teaches a course in horticulture mathematics.
NICK E. CHRISTIANS, PhD, is University Professor of Horticulture at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. His previous books include Mathematics of Turf-grass Maintenance, Fourth Edition, and Fundamentals of Turfgrass Management, Third Edition (Wiley).
Ann Marie Vanderzanden, PhD, is Associate Professor of Horticulture at Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa. She is coauthor of Landscape Design: Theory and Application.
- Covers calculations for all aspects of the green industry including turf management and maintenance, lawn care, landscape management, sports field management, and nursery and greenhouse operations
- Offers clear explanations of all relevant mathematical principles in the first chapter so students and professionals have ready access to the basics as they use the balance of the material
- Offers chapters related to measurement and application of pesticides and water, landscape installation calculations, and calculations for greenhouse and nursery industries
- Appendices offer relevant conversion tables
- Shows how to perform calculations, and then offers additional calculations that students and self-learners alike can work through
Mathematics for the Green Industry: Essential Calculations for Horticulture and Landscape Professionals (US $70.00)
Total List Price: US $145.00
Discounted Price: US $108.75 (Save: US $36.25)