Becoming a Graphic Designer: A Guide to Careers in Design, 3rd Edition
Becoming a Graphic Designer provides a comprehensive survey of the graphic design market, including complete coverage of print and electronic media and the evolving digital design disciplines that offer today's most sought-after jobs. Featuring 65 interviews with today's leading designers, this visual guide has more than 600 illustrations and covers everything from education and training, design specialties, and work settings to preparing an effective portfolio and finding a job. The book offers profiles of major industries and key design disciplines, including all-new coverage of careers in exhibition design and illustration.
Steven Heller (New York, NY) is Art Director of the New York Times Book Review and cochair of the MFA/Design program at the School of Visual Arts. He is the author of over 80 books on design and popular culture. Teresa Fernandes (Greenwich, CT) is a publications designer and art director.
So You Want to Become a Graphic Designer?
How I Became a Graphic Designer.
Section 1: Design Specialties.
Advertising and Branding.
What Do You Look For?
Type and Lettering.
Advice To Designers.
Section 2: Design Businesses.
On Personal Style.
Section 3: Design Options.
Section 4: Design Education.
List of Schools.
The Future of Graphic Design.
Appendix: Resource Guide.
Teresa Fernandes is a graphic designer and the principal of TFD Studio in Connecticut. She is the coauthor (with Steven Heller) of The Business of Illustration.
- Fully updated to cover the evolving digital design disciplines that offer some of today's most sought-after job opportunities
- Includes new information on exhibition design and illustrator/designers
- Over 30 new interviews with practicing graphic designers
· Covers various design disciplines, such as wayfinding, advertising, corporate, internet, editorial, information design, music, and books
· Over 650 striking illustrations and a lively interior
· Explains different educational paths and their prerequisites and requirements
· Includes compact, easy-to-use sections, useful sidebars, and sample design pieces