Joyful Reading : Differentiation and Enrichment for Successful Literacy Learning, Grades K-8
April 2009, Jossey-Bass
- a Book Hook component in which the teacher reads aloud from a high-interest book while engaging the class in critical thinking responses
- a Supported Independent Reading component in which students are encouraged to select and read progressively challenging books while the teacher offers instruction through individualized confer-ences
- a Special Interest component in which students engage in reading-enrichment activities
PART I: TOWARD JOYFUL READING.
1. The Schoolwide Enrichment Model for Reading (SEM-R): Why now?
2. Why Differentiate Reading Instruction?
3. Reading Instruction Essentials.
PART II: THE PROGRAM PHASES.
4. Hooking Kids on Reading: Phase I.
5. Supported Independent Reading and Conferences: Phase II.
6. Facilitating Interest and Choice: Phase III.
PART III: SUCCEEDING WITH SEM-R.
7. Library and Classroom Management Strategies.
8. Differentiated Practices to Challenge all Readers.
9. Making Use of Literacy Coaches.
10. The Program in After-School and Other Settings.
A. Sample SEM-R Bookmarks (4).
B. Reading Interest-a-Lyzer.
C. Book Lists and Resources.
D. Sun/Cloud Template.
E. Reading Growth Graph.
F. Teacher Log: Template and Examples.
G. Student Log: Template and Examples.
Sally M. Reis, Ph.D., is professor of Educational Psychology at the University of Connecticut where she also serves as principal investigator for the National Research Center on the Gifted and Talented. Widely published, Reis conducts workshops and provides professional development to schools and districts both nationally and internationally. Her colleagues and coauthors are all professors in reading, educational psychology, and curriculum and instruction with extensive experience in SEM-R.
Do you think you've discovered an error in this book? Please check the list of errata below to see if we've already addressed the error. If not, please submit the error via our Errata Form. We will attempt to verify your error; if you're right, we will post a correction below.
|Additional Materials: FAQs with Sally Reis
p. 253 of Joyful Reading refers to a second section of the DVD entitled ?Additional Materials: FAQs with Sally Reis.? These videos were left off of the DVD provided with the book, but can be accessed at the following link:www.wiley/go/riesfaqs
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Joyful Reading : Differentiation and Enrichment for Successful Literacy Learning, Grades K-8 (US $27.95)
Total List Price: US $52.90
Discounted Price: US $39.67 (Save: US $13.23)