A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey
April 2008, Jossey-Bass
A New Kind of Christian's conversation between a pastor and his daughter's high school science teacher reveals that wisdom for life's most pressing spiritual questions can come from the most unlikely sources. This stirring fable captures a new spirit of Christianity--where personal, daily interaction with God is more important than institutional church structures, where faith is more about a way of life than a system of belief, where being authentically good is more important than being doctrinally "right," and where one's direction is more important than one's present location. Brian McLaren's delightful account offers a wise and wondrous approach for revitalizing Christian spiritual life and Christian congregations.
If you are interested in joining a discussion group devoted to a A New Kind of Christian please visit groups.yahoo.com/group/NKOC.
Preface to the Paperback Edition vii
Introduction: The True Story Behind This Story xiii
1. Sometime the Peacock Wish to Be the Seagull 1
2. Entering That Awkward Age, or Does Jonah Eat Bagels? 16
3. Dan Discovers Where the Cross Meets the Dream Catcher 31
4. What a Difference a Worldview Makes 41
5. Neo Worries About Keeping Up with Jesus 57
6. Hot Words About Biblical Interpretation 66
7. Letting the Bible Read Us 77
8. Yeah, But What About the Other Guys? 86
9. Redeeming Our Culture over Dinner 97
10. C. S. Lewis in the Pulpit, or What Is Heaven About Anyway? 117
11. Getting Beyond Righteousness 134
12. French Fries and the Kingdom of God 147
13. Spiritual Practices: Secret and Shared 157
14. It’s None of Your Business Who Goes to Hell 177
15. Beginning the Journey into Terra Nova 193
16. Notes on Church Leadership from One Certified Nobody to Another 205
About Leadership Network 245
Leadership Network Titles 247
The Author 251
A Reader's Guide for A New Kind of Christian by Timothy Keel 255
Brian D. McLaren is a speaker, author, activist, and networker exploring the intersection of Christian faith and contemporary life. He has written or co-written over a dozen books, including A Generous Orthodoxy, The Secret Message of Jesus, and Everything Must Change. For twenty-four years, he served as the founding pastor of Cedar Ridge Community Church in the Washington-Baltimore area. He was named by Time magazine as one of America's twenty-five most influential Evangelicals. He is a founding member of emergentvillage.com. See www.brianmclaren.net. .
About Leadership Network
The mission of Leadership Network is to identify and connect innovative church leaders and provide them with resources in the form of new ideas, people, and tools. Contact Leadership Network at www.leadnet.org.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
A New Kind of Christian: A Tale of Two Friends on a Spiritual Journey (US $14.95)
Total List Price: US $29.90
Discounted Price: US $22.42 (Save: US $7.48)