Biometrics For Dummies
Here’s a friendly introduction to biometrics — the science of identifying humans based on unique physical characteristics. With the government’s use of biometrics — for example, biometric passport readers — and application of the technology for law enforcement, biometrics is growing more popular among security experts. Biometrics For Dummies explains biometric technology, explores biometrics policy and privacy issues with biometrics, and takes a look at where the science is heading. You’ll discover:
- How pattern recognition and fingerprint recognition are used
- The many vulnerabilities of biometric systems and how to guard against them
- How various countries are handling the privacy issues and what can be done to protect citizens’ privacy
- How a scan of the palm, veins in the hand, and sonar imagery establish identity
- What it takes to fully authenticate a signature
- How gait, speech, linguistic analysis, and other types of biometric identification come into play
- The criteria for setting up an implementation plan
- How to use authentication, authorization, and access principles
Written by a pair of security experts, Biometrics For Dummies gives you the basics in an easy-to-understand format that doesn’t scrimp on substance. You’ll get up to speed and enjoy getting there!
Part I: Getting Started with Biometrics.
Chapter 1: Understanding Biometrics.
Chapter 2: Protecting Assets with Biometrics.
Chapter 3: Biometrics in Our Lives.
Part II: Types of Biometrics.
Chapter 4: Fingerprint and Hand Biometrics.
Chapter 5: Signature Biometrics.
Chapter 6: Retina and Facial Biometrics.
Chapter 7: Other Types of Biometric Identification Schemes.
Part III: Implementing and Using Biometrics.
Chapter 8: Selecting a Biometrics Solution.
Chapter 9: Implementing, Supporting, and Maintaining a Biometrics Solution.
Chapter 10: Securing Biometrics Systems.
Chapter 11: The Future of Biometrics.
Part IV: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 12: Ten Tools Used in Biometrics.
Chapter 13: Ten Biometrics Web Sites.
Chapter 14: Ten Essentials for Biometrics Success.
Chapter 15: Ten Biometrics Scenarios to Plan For.
Chapter 16: Ten Benefits of Biometrics.
Part V: Appendixes.
Appendix A: Comparing Biometrics Solutions.
Appendix B: Controlling Physical Access.
Appendix C: Glossary.
Michael A. Simon is a security consultant with experience in the government, military, banking, nonprofit, law enforcement, healthcare, e-commerce, and telecommunications industries.