The Zen of Helping: Spiritual Principles for Mindful and Open-Hearted Practice
Foreword (Joan Halifax Roshi, PhD).
1. A Spiritual Framework for Our Clients and Ourselves (Beyond Spiritual Neutrality).
2. Sitting with Clients on Uncertain Ground: Strong Back, Soft Front (Beyond Evidence-Based Practice).
3. Radical Acceptance of Clients, Context and Self (Beyond Carl Rogers' Positive Regard).
4. Mindfulness: Steadying the Mind and Being Present (Beyond Empathy Skills and Counter-Transference).
5. Curiosity, Compassionate Caring, and Inspiration (Beyond Professional Warmth).
6. Bearing Witness to Trauma and Pain (Beyond Clinical Distance).
7. The Middle Way: Embracing Contradiction and Paradox (Beyond Dualistic Thinking).
8. Having the Conversation: Making Space for Client Spirituality (Beyond the Great Taboo).
9. Dealing with Failure (Beyond Cognitive Solutions and the Paradigm of Blame).
10. Swimming Upstream with a Warrior's Heart (Beyond Working a Human Services Job).
Appendix: Brief Introduction to Buddhism and Zen.
—Alfred W. Kaszniak, Ph.D., University of Arizona, Head, Department of Psychology, Professor of Psychology, Neurology, & Psychiatry
"Through the gathering of wisdom of his teachers, the insights
of his own clinical experience, and the deep spiritual exploration
of his own personal journey, Dr. Bein has created a remarkable
roadmap of "pointing instructions" and guidance through the
complexities of our hearts and minds for all of us in the healing
professions. His book is valuable tool for anyone engaged in the
work of healing the suffering of others, and the work of healing
the suffering of one's self."
—Larry Yang, LCSW, Guiding Dharma Teacher, East Bay Meditation Center, Oakland, CA
"The Zen of Helping offers spiritual principles and
practice wisdom in a profound yet delightfully readable manner.
While grounded in Zen thought, concepts are presented in a
framework accessible and acceptable to helping professionals from
diverse spiritual traditions. Readers will find guidance for
self-care as well as for effective practice in this deep and
thoughtful book. This book makes a significant contribution to the
literature on spirituality and counseling practice."
—Ann W. Nichols, PhD, Arizona State University, School of Social Work and Director, Society for Spirituality and Social Work
"The Zen of Helping is a must-read, must-have book for
anyone who is serious about helping those in need of care,
understanding, and comfort. It is relevant across the spectrum from
the novice student to the experienced therapist. Detailed case
examples and personal narratives breathe life into this nuanced and
revealing, well-crafted, multi-dimensional book."
—Shauna L. Smith, MSW, MFT, co-founder, Therapists for Social Responsibility
"I have read the book with great heart and joy. It is so
well-written, original, clear, helpful, and wise. I think this book
will be an invaluable contribution, not only to social work, but
many other disciplines."
—Joan Halifax Roshi, Ph.D., Upaya Zen Center
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Zen of Helping: Spiritual Principles for Mindful and Open-Hearted Practice (US $45.00)
Total List Price: US $89.00
Discounted Price: US $66.75 (Save: US $22.25)