The Essential College Professor: A Practical Guide to an Academic Career
December 2009, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Part I: The College Professor's Career.
1. Applying for a Faculty Position.
2. Interviewing for a Faculty Position.
3. What Kind of Professor Are You?
4. Career Planning for College Professors.
5. The Tenure and Promotion Process.
6. Special Challenges for Junior Faculty.
7. Special Challenges for Mid-Career Faculty.
8. Special Challenges for Senior Faculty.
9. Taking the Next Step in Your Career.
Part II: The College Professor as Teacher.
10. Assessing Student Learning.
11. Writing an Effective Course Syllabus.
12. Developing Creative Course Materials.
13. Teaching Small Classes.
14. Teaching Large Classes.
15. Teaching One-on-One.
16. Teaching with Technology.
17. Reducing Grade Anxiety.
18. Promoting Student Engagement.
19. Addressing Academic Misconduct.
20. Maintaining Appropriate Faculty-Student Relations.
21. Dealing with Student Problems and Problem Students.
22. Taking the Next Step in Your Teaching.
Part III: The College Professor as Scholar.
23. Writing a Grant Proposal.
24. Writing a Book Proposal.
25. Overcoming Research Block.
26. Balancing Scholarship with Other Duties.
27. Seeking and Providing Peer Support for Scholarship.
28. Alternative Forms of Scholarship.
29. Taking the Next Step in Your Scholarship.
Part IV: The College Professor as Citizen.
30. Service Reconsidered.
31. Creating an Effective Curriculum Vitae.
32. Seeking Leadership Positions.
33. Serving on Committees.
34. Serving as an Academic Advisor.
35. Serving as a Mentor.
36. Handling Conflict with a Supervisor.
37. Handling Conflict with Colleagues.
38. The Faculty Member as Fundraiser.
39. Exploring the Possibility of Administrative Work.
40. Taking the Next Step in Your Service.
Epilogue: A Checklist for the Essential College Professor.