Civic Service: Service-Learning with State and Local Government Partners
August 2009, Jossey-Bass
The Contributors .
1. Why Civic Service (Tom Rice and David P. Redlawsk).
2. Partnerships That Work: Developing and Sustaining Service-Learning Partnerships with Government Agencies (Steven G. Jones, Johnny Goldfinger, and Timothy M. Koponen).
VOICES: Social Service Agencies as Government Partner.
3. CommUniverCity San Jos’: Building a Partnership for Service and Learning (Terry Christensen and Melinda Jackson).
VOICES: City and University.
4. Learning Politics and Learning to Learn: A Collaborative Service-Learning Project with a Local Government (Jeffrey L. Bernstein and Joseph Ohren).
VOICES: The Government Practitioner.
5. Linking Advanced Public Service-Learning and Community Participation with Environmental Analytical Chemistry: Lessons from Case Studies in Western New York ( Joseph A. Gardella, Jr., Tammy M. Milillo, Gaurav Sinha, Gunwha Oh, David C. Manns, and Eleanor Coffey).
VOICES: The Community Organization.
6. Pandemic Flu Planning Support for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (Charles Hadlock, Jennifer Infurna, Peter Koutoujian, and Jennifer Ricci).
VOICES: The Academic Institution.
7. Let's Get It Started: Leadership, Civic Engagement, and Service-Learning ( Kendra A. King).
VOICES: Government Partners and University.
8. When Service-Learning Meets Governmental Inertia: Lessons from an Oklahoma Town (Christine Pappas).
VOICES: Students Make a Difference.
9. Service-Learning in an Urban Public School District: The Buffalo Experience (Joseph A. Gardella Jr., Heather M. Maciejewski, and Mara B. Huber).
VOICES: The School Teacher.
10. Students as Policy Researchers for State Legislatures (Anthony Gierzynski and Tom Rice).
VOICES: State Legislators in Vermont and Iowa.
11. Living the Theory: Local Politics and Service-Learning (David P. Redlawsk and Nora Wilson).
VOICES: A Service-Learning Teaching Assistant.
12. Triangulated Learning: Integrating Text, Current Events, and Experience in State and Local Government (Fredric A. Waldstein).
VOICES: Partners in Service-Learning.
13. Service-Learning in the Engineering Sciences (William Oakes).
VOICES: Long-Term Relationships.
14. Reciprocity: Creating a Model for Campus-Community Partnerships (Marsha K. Turner and Rosa Ramos Morgan).
VOICES: Community Revitalization with a Collaborative Partnership.
Appendix A: Examples of Service-Learning with Government Partners: Varied Approaches (Charlotte Ridge).
Appendix B: Service-Learning Resources.