Transmembrane Dynamics of Lipids
Transmembrane Dynamics of Lipids is comprised of contributions from expert authors from leading research groups that present up-to-date quantitative data on the formation, stability, and biological consequences of the asymmetrical organization of lipids in cell membranes.
Incorporating an impressive amount of new, previously uncollected data, the book examines transmembrane asymmetry and movement of lipids in biological membranes, and methods for the measurement of transmembrane lipid motion, emphasizing the role of lipid flippases and discusses biological functions associated with lipid asymmetry. In addition, it draws attention to important new discoveries in the field, such as the correlation between malfunction of lipid flippases and human diseases such as thrombosis and cancer. The book also addresses the manifold methods that are used to measure the rate of transmembrane movement of lipids in biological and model systems.
The only guide to new discoveries regarding lipids in cell membranes, Transmembrane Dynamics of Lipids is designed to appeal to biophysicists, biochemists, and cellular and molecular biologists working in the growing field of membrane research.
List of Contributors.
Part I: ASSESSING TRANSMEMBRANE MOVEMENT AND ASYMMETRY OF LIPIDS.
1. Methods for the Determination of Lipid Transmembrane Distribution and Movement in Biological Membranes (Philippe F. Devaux and Andreas Herrmann).
2. Detection and Measurement of Unlabeled Lipid Transmembrane Movement(Iván López-Montero, Marisela Vélez and Philippe F. Devaux).
Part II: LIPID ASYMMETRY IN CELL MEMBRANES.
3. New Insights in Membrane Lipid Asymmetry in Animal and Plant Cells (Alain Zachowski).
4. Sphingolipid Asymmetry and Transmembrane Translocation in Mammalian Cells (Gerrit van Meer, Sylvia Neumann, and Per Haberkant).
5. Transbilayer Movement and Distribution of Cholesterol (Peter Müller, Anna Pia Plazzo, and Andreas Herrmann).
Part III. ENERGY-INDEPENDENT PROTEIN-MEDIATED TRANSMEMBRANE MOVEMENT OF LIPIDS.
6. Phospholipid Flip-Flop in Biogenic Membranes (Anant K. Menon and Andreas Herrmann).
7. Phospholipid Scramblase: When Phospholipid Asymmetry Goes Away (Edouard M. Bevers and Patrick L. Williamson).
Part IV: ENERGY-DEPENDENT LIPID TRANSPORT ACROSS MEMBRANES.
8. Flip or Flop: Mechanism and (Patho)Physiology of P4-ATPase-Catalyzed Lipid Transport (Patricia M. Verhulst, Joost C.M. Holthuis, and Thomas G. Pomorski).
9. Coupling Drs2p to Phospholipid Translocation, Membrane Asymmetry, and Vesicle Budding (Xiaoming Zhou, Paramasivam Natarajan, Baby-Periyanayaki Muthusamy, Todd R. Graham, and Ke Liu).
10. Substrate Specifi city of the Aminophospholipid Flippase (Shelley M. Cook and David L. Daleke).
11. The Flippase Delusion? (Naomi L. Pollock, Petra H.M. Niesten, and Richard Callaghan).
Part V: RELEVANCE OF LIPID TRANSMEMBRANE DISTRIBUTION FOR MEMBRANE PROPERTIES AND PROCESSES
12. Membrane Lipid Asymmetry and Permeability to Drugs: A Matter of Size (Adam Blanchard and Cyril Rauch).
13. Endocytosis and Lipid Asymmetry (Nina Ohlwein, Andreas Herrmann, and Philippe F. Devaux).
Part VI: APOPTOSIS AND DISEASES: CONSEQUENCES OF DISRUPTION TO LIPID TRANSMEMBRANE ASYMMETRY
14. Membrane Lipid Asymmetry in Aging and Apoptosis (Krishnakumar Balasubramanian and Alan J. Schroit).
15. Phosphatidylserine Exposure in Hemoglobinopathies (Frans A. Kuypers and Eric Soupene).
16. Scott Syndrome: More Than a Hereditary Defect of Plasma Membrane Remodeling (Florence Toti and Jean-Marie Freyssinet).
17. ABCA1, Tangier Disease, and Lipid Flopping (Ana Zarubica and Giovanna Chimini).
Philippe F. Devaux, PhD, is Professor of Physics at the Paris 7 University.He has long-standing expertise in teaching molecular and cellular biophysics and physics applied to biology and medicine. He is the author of almost two hundred scientific papers and three books, and is an Editor of the European Biophysics Journal.
Andreas Herrmann, PhD, is Professor of Molecular Biophysics at Humboldt-University of Berlin. He teaches courses on the subjects of molecular; cell; and membrane biophysics, optical spectroscopy, and fluorescence microscopy. He is the author of more than two hundred scientific papers focusing on lipid dynamics in biological membranes and molecular mechanisms of virus infection.
Transmembrane Dynamics of Lipids (US $146.00)
-and- Student Companion to Accompany Fundamentals of Biochemistry, 4th Edition (US $93.95)
Total List Price: US $239.95
Discounted Price: US $179.96 (Save: US $59.99)