InDesign CS4 For Dummies
Whether you’re an experienced designer or just want to create a cool newsletter for the school soccer team, InDesign is the gold standard for desktop publishing programs. This easy-to-follow guide is packed with tips and techniques for making the most of InDesign’s features, along with some wise advice on designing pages that do their job perfectly.
- Make it work for you — explore the new tools, take advantage of personal workspaces, and set preferences for the way you work
- Master the details — take advantage of precise typography, layout, and graphics tools to get exactly the document you want
- Add color — use color libraries, multi-ink colors, and gradients to make your document sparkle
- Play well with others — learn how InDesign works seamlessly with other applications in the Adobe Creative Suite
- Get in style — take text and object formatting up a notch by using styles and InDesign’s many special effects
- Be Web savvy — use hyperlinks, multimedia elements, and more for Web, PDF, and Flash files
- Pack it up — prepare for printing or other output with enhanced preflighting and service-bureau tools
Open the book and find:
- Steps for designing and producing professional page layouts
- How to open and save documents and export document content
- The ins and outs of working with text
- Steps for managing chapters and books
- Secrets for setting up great master pages
- The dangers of unnamed colors
- How to manipulate, organize, and align design objects
- Tips for cropping and positioning graphics
Part I: Before You Begin.
Chapter 1: Understanding InDesign Ingredients.
Chapter 2: Making InDesign Work Your Way.
Part II: Document Essentials.
Chapter 3: Opening and Saving Your Work.
Chapter 4: Discovering How Pages and Layers Work.
Chapter 5: The Joys of Reuse.
Chapter 6: Working with Color.
Part III: Object Essentials.
Chapter 7: Adding Essential Elements.
Chapter 8: Manipulating Objects.
Chapter 9: Organizing Objects.
Chapter 10: Aligning and Arranging Objects.
Part IV: Text Essentials.
Chapter 11: Putting Words on the Page.
Chapter 12: The Ins and Outs of Text Editing.
Chapter 13: The Styles of Text.
Chapter 14: Fine-Tuning Paragraph Details.
Chapter 15: Finessing Character Details.
Chapter 16: Tricks with Text.
Part V: Graphics Essentials.
Chapter 17: Importing Graphics.
Chapter 18: Fitting Graphics and Setting Paths.
Part VI: Getting Down to Business.
Chapter 19: Working with Tabs and Tables.
Chapter 20: Working with Footnotes, Indexes, and TOCs.
Chapter 21: Working with Automatic Text.
Chapter 22: Publishing Books.
Part VII: Printing and Multimedia Essentials.
Chapter 23: Printing Your Work.
Chapter 24: Multimedia Project Basics.
Part VIII: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 25: Top Ten New Features in InDesign CS4.
Chapter 26: Top Ten Resources for InDesign Users.