Algorithms and Protocols for Wireless, Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
November 2008, Wiley-IEEE Press
Advances in wireless networking and mobile communication technologies, coupled with the proliferation of portable computers, have led to development efforts for wireless and mobile ad hoc networks. This book focuses on several aspects of wireless ad hoc networks, particularly algorithmic methods and distributed computing with mobility and computation capabilities. It covers everything readers need to build a foundation for the design of future mobile ad hoc networks:
Establishing an efficient communication infrastructure
Robustness control for network-wide broadcast
The taxonomy of routing algorithms
Adaptive backbone multicast routing
The effect of inference on routing
Routing protocols in intermittently connected mobile ad hoc networks and delay tolerant networks
Transport layer protocols
ACK-thinning techniques for TCP in MANETs
Power control protocols
Power saving in solar powered WLAN mesh networks
Reputation and trust-based systems
Vehicular ad hoc networks
Cluster interconnection in 802.15.4 beacon enabled networks
The book is complemented with a set of exercises that challenge readers to test their understanding of the material. Algorithms and Protocols for Wireless and Mobile Ad Hoc Networks is appropriate as a self-study guide for electrical engineers, computer engineers, network engineers, and computer science specialists. It also serves as a valuable supplemental textbook in computer science, electrical engineering, and network engineering courses at the advanced undergraduate and graduate levels.
About the Editor.
1. Algorithms for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (Azzedine Boukerche, Daniel Câmara, Antonio A.F. Loureiro, and Carlos M.S. Figueiredo).
2. Establishing a Communication Infrastructure in Ad Hoc Networks (Michel Barbeau, Evangelos Kranakis, and Ioannis Lambadaris).
3. Robustness Control for Network-Wide Broadcast in Multihop Wireless Networks (Paul Rogers and Nael B. Abu-Ghazaleh).
4. Encoding for Efficient Data Distribution in Multihop Ad Hoc Networks (Luciana Pelusi, Andrea Passarella, and Marco Conti).
5. A Taxonomy of Routing Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (Azzedine Boukerche, Mohammad Z. Ahmad, Damla Turgut, and Begumhan Turgut).
6. Adaptive Backbone Multicast Routing for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (Chaiporn Jaikaeo and Chien-Chung Shen).
7. Effect of Interference on Routing in Multihop Wireless Networks (Vinay Kolar and Nael B. Abu-Ghazaleh).
8. Routing Protocols in Intermittently Connected Mobile Ad Hoc Networks and Delay-Tolerant Networks (Zhensheng Zhang).
9. Transport Layer Protocols for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (Lap Kong Law, Srikanth V. Krishnamurthy, and Michalis Faloutsos).
10. ACK-Thinning Techniques for TCP in MANETs (Stylianos Papanastasiou, Mohamed Ould-Khaoua, and Lewis M. MacKenzie).
11. Power Control Protocols for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks (Junhua Zhu, Brahim Bensaou, and Farid Nait-Abdesselam).
12. Power Saving in Solar-Powered WLAN Mesh Networks (Amir A. Sayegh, Mohammed N. Smadi, and Terence D. Todd).
13. Reputation-and-Trust-Based Systems for Ad Hoc Networks (Avinash Srinivasan, Joshua Teitelbaum, Jie Wu, Mihaela Cardei, and Huigang Liang).
14. Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks: An Emerging Technology Toward Safe and Efficient Transportation (Maen M. Artimy, William Robertson, and William J. Phillips).
15. Performance Issues in Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks (Maria Kihl and Mihail L. Sichitiu).
16. Cluster Interconnection in 802.15.4 Beacon-Enabled Networks (Jelena Misic and Ranjith Udayshankar).