Managing the Testing Process: Practical Tools and Techniques for Managing Hardware and Software Testing, 3rd Edition
New edition of one of the most influential books on managing software and hardware testing
In this new edition of his top-selling book, Rex Black walks you through the steps necessary to manage rigorous testing programs of hardware and software. The preeminent expert in his field, Mr. Black draws upon years of experience as president of both the International and American Software Testing Qualifications boards to offer this extensive resource of all the standards, methods, and tools you'll need.
The book covers core testing concepts and thoroughly examines the best test management practices and tools of leading hardware and software vendors. Step-by-step guidelines and real-world scenarios help you follow all necessary processes and avoid mistakes.
- Producing high-quality computer hardware and software requires careful, professional testing; Managing the Testing Process, Third Edition explains how to achieve that by following a disciplined set of carefully managed and monitored practices and processes
- The book covers all standards, methods, and tools you need for projects large and small
- Presents the business case for testing products and reviews the author's latest test assessments
- Topics include agile testing methods, risk-based testing, IEEE standards, ISTQB certification, distributed and outsourced testing, and more
- Over 100 pages of new material and case studies have been added to this new edition
If you're responsible for managing testing in the real world, Managing the Testing Process, Third Edition is the valuable reference and guide you need.
Chapter 1 Defining What’s on Your Plate: The Foundation of a Test Project.
Chapter 2 Plotting and Presenting Your Course: The Test Plan.
Chapter 3 Test-System Architecture, Cases, and Coverage.
Chapter 4 An Exciting Career in Entomology Awaits You: A Bug-Tracking Database.
Chapter 5 Managing Test Cases: The Test-Tracking Spreadsheet.
Chapter 6 Tips and Tools for Crunch Mode: Managing the Dynamic.
Chapter 7 Stocking and Managing a Test Lab.
Chapter 8 Staffing and Managing a Test Team.
Chapter 9 The Triumph of Politics: Organizational Challenges for Test Managers.
Chapter 10 Involving Other Players: Distributed Testing, outsourcing, and related topics.
Chapter 11 Economics of Testing: Fiscal Context.
Part One Appendices.
Appendix A Hardware-Testing Fundamentals: An Introduction for Software-Testing Professionals.
Appendix B Omninet: The Internet Everywhere Marketing Requirements Document.
Appendix C Omninet: The Internet Everywhere System Requirements Document.
Appendix D Bibliography, Related Readings, and Other Resources.
Rex Black, President of RBCS, has a quarter-century of software and systems engineering experience. RBCS is a leader in software, hardware, and systems testing, with clients ranging from startups to Fortune 20 companies. Rex is the most prolific author in the field of software testing, with books that have sold tens of thousands of copies. He has presented hundreds of papers, workshops, and seminars, and given some 30 keynote speeches at conferences and events worldwide.