Home Theater For Dummies, 3rd Edition
Beginning with the most basic information, this guide helps you choose what you need and put it all together. It explains DLP, 3LCD, HDMI, DTV, and HDTV so you can talk intelligently with salespeople at the electronics store. You’ll find out about Blu-ray, explore HD and satellite radio options, and see how to incorporate a Wii, Xbox, or Playstation 3 into your set-up. Learn to:
- Choose among plasma, LCD, and projection TVs
- Know the difference between digital TV and HDTV
- Assess and choose an LCD TV, a new 3D TV, or an HD radio
- Set up your audio system and TV for maximum performance
- Use a Media Center or Home Theater PC
- Fine-tune your system and add cool touches such as accessing home theater content from your cell phone
- Explore HD and satellite radio options, CD players, DVD-Audio disks, and options for old cassettes and vinyl
- Set up your system with the proper cables for each component, or learn what it takes to go wireless
- Calibrate your video with a calibration disk, an optical comparator, or a DVD containing THX Optimizer
Get the perfect home theater experience by following the expert tips and techniques presented in Home Theater For Dummies, 3rd Edition. You’ll be watching movies and listening to audio in no time!
Part I: Welcome to the World of Home Theater.
Chapter 1: The Zen of Home Theater.
Chapter 2: Defining Your Home-Theatered Home.Chapter 3: The ABCs of Home Theater Audio.
Chapter 4: Getting the Big (Video) Picture.
Part II: Getting Video and Music into Your Theater: Source Devices.
Chapter 5: Treating Your Ears to Music.
Chapter 6: Feeding Video into Your Theater.
Chapter 7: Feeding Your Home Theater from Outside Your Home.
Chapter 8: Gaming Galore.
Chapter 9: Introducing the Home Theater PC.
Chapter 10: Accessing Digital Content at Home and Over the Internet.
Part III: Watching and Listening: Display and Control Devices.
Chapter 11: The Heart of Your Home Theater: The A/V Receiver.
Chapter 12: Speaker of the House.
Chapter 13: Understanding Your Display Options.
Chapter 14: Comparing Display Technologies.
Chapter 15: Remote Controlling Your Home Theater.
Part IV: Putting It All Together.
Chapter 16: Home Theater Cable Basics.
Chapter 17: Hooking Up Your A/V System.
Chapter 18: Plugging In to a Whole-Home Entertainment Network.
Part V: Let ting Your Home Theater Be All It Can Be.
Chapter 19: Tweaking Your A/V System.
Chapter 20: Customizing Your Home Theater Environment.
Chapter 21: Moving Up to the High End.
Part VI: The Part of Tens.
Chapter 22: Ten or So Accessories for Your Home Theater.
Chapter 23: Ten Great Sources for More Information.
Danny Briere is founder and CEO of TeleChoice, Inc. and CEO of mBlast. He's a respected analyst on communications news and breakthroughs.Pat Hurley is Director of Research with TeleChoice, specializing in emerging telecommunications technologies. They are also coauthors of all editions of Smart Homes For Dummies.