Experiments and Exercises in Basic Chemistry, 7th Edition
December 2008, ©2009
* Topics and approach emphasize the development of scientific literacy.
* Written in a clear, easy-to-read style.
* Numerous experiments to choose from cover all topics typically covered in prep chemistry courses.
* Avoids the use of known carcinogens and toxic metal salts.
* Chemical Capsules demonstrate the relevance and importance of chemistry.
Experiment 1 Introductory Concepts, Techniques, and Challenges
Experiment 2 Measurements
Experiment 3 Density
Experiment 4 Mixtures: Separation and Purification
Experiment 5 Melting Points
Experiment 6 Lewis Structures and Molecular Models
Experiment 7 Paper Chromatography
Experiment 8 Classification of Chemical Reactions
Experiment 9 Empirical Formula of Zinc Oxide
Experiment 10 Empirical Formula of a Hydrate
Experiment 11 Stoichiometry of a Reaction
Experiment 12 Enthalpies in Physical and Chemical Changes
Experiment 13 Chemical Properties of Oxygen and Hydrogen
Experiment 14 Gas Laws
Experiment 15 Distillation and Hardness of Water
Experiment 16 Ionic Reactions and Conductivity
Experiment 17 Analysis of Cations
Experiment 18 Spectroscopy
Experiment 19 Acidity and pH
Experiment 20 Synthesis
Experiment 21 Acid-Base Titrations
Experiment 22 Oxidation-Reduction
Experiment 23 Analysis of Bleach and Copper (II) Glycinate
Experiment 24 The Rates of Chemical Reactions
Experiment 25 Equilibrium Studies
Experiment 26 Molecular Models of Organic Compounds
Experiment 27 Carbohydrates
Exercise 1 Measurements: Scientific Notation, Significant Figures, Accuracy and Precision
Exercise 2 Unit Conversions, Density
Exercise 3 Element Names and Symbols
Exercise 4 Protons, Neutrons, Electrons and Isotopes
Exercise 5 Polyatomic Ions
Exercise 6 Formulas of Compounds
Exercise 7 Nomenclature of Compounds
Exercise 8 Electronic Structures and Lewis Structures of Atoms
Exercise 9 Bonding, Molecular Geometry, and Polarity
Exercise 10 Chemical Reactions: Balancing and Classification
Exercise 11 Double Replacement Reactions, Net Ionic Equations
Exercise 12 Formula Mass, Moles and Molecules
Exercise 13 Percent Composition, Empirical and Molecular Formulas
Exercise 14 Stoichiometry
Exercise 15 Gases and Gas Laws
Exercise 16 Concentration Calculations and Solution Stoichiometry
Exercise 17 Acids and Bases, pH
Exercise 18 Oxidation States and Redox Reactions
Exercise 19 Equilibirum Expressions, le Chatelier's Principle
Exercise 20 Nuclear Reactions
Exercise 21 Organic Chemistry
Exercise 22 Laboratory Terminology
Exercise 23 Laboratory Techniques
Appendix A Solutions to Starred Prelaboratory Exercises
Appendix B Common Ions by Charge
Appendix C Solubility of Ionic Compounds
Webercises (available online at www.wiley.com/college/murov)
Webercise 1 Significant Figures
Webercise 2 Properties of Elements
Webercise 3 Chemical Toxicity, Safety, and Uses
Webercise 4 Periodic Properties of the Elements
Webercise 5 Atmospheric Gases
Webercise 6 Chemists, Chemistry and Society
- One of the main goals of the 7th edition has been to optimize the learning experience, and there has been a significant effort made to promote more preparation and stimulate thinking.
- In this edition, the two sections on Learning Objectives and Text Concepts have been replaced by a single section that includes a list of the Concepts, Techniques, and Correlations included in the experiment.
- The first Prelaboratory question of each experiment asks the student to list at least three learning goals for the experiment. In addition, the last question of the Results and Discussion section asks the student to relist the learning goals and then to evaluate the success of the experiment towards achievement of the foals.
• Topics and approach emphasize the development of scientific literacy.
• Written in a clear, easy-to-read style.
• Numerous experiments to choose from cover all topics typically covered in prep chemistry courses.
• Avoids the use of known carcinogens and toxic metal salts.
• Chemical Capsules demonstrate the relevance and importance of chemistry.