Sustainable School Architecture: Design for Elementary and Secondary Schools
The elementary and secondary school buildings and campuses built today are the schools of the future. Sustainable School Architecture is a guide to the planning, architecture, and design of schools that are healthy, stimulating, and will conserve energy and resources. Written with the needs of architects, construction professionals, educators, and school administration in mind, the book provides a road map for sustainable planning, design, construction, and operations.
By its very nature, a school is often the centerpiece of its community and, therefore, well positioned to take the lead in influencing environmental awareness. Building on this point, Sustainable School Architecture shows how eco-friendly practices for school construction can create an environment that young students will emulate and carry into the world. Written by experts on sustainable school design, this book:
- Focuses on the links between best sustainable practices and the specific needs of educational institutions.
- Has nineteen international case studies of the best contemporary sustainable schools located in urban, suburban, and rural communities in temperate, tropical, and extreme climate zones.
- Contains valuable information on the California Collaborative for High Performance Schools (CHPS) and the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) rating system.
- Serves as a resource for incremental modernization and operation strategies as well as comprehensive transformation.
- Offers tips on running an integrated, community-based design process with support information on the materials and systems of the sustainable school.
- Includes contributions by experts on approaches to the sites, systems, maintenance, and operation of sustainable schools.
With a practical overview of how sustainability can be achieved in new and existing schools, and how to maintain this momentum in the years ahead, this important book provides architects with detailed guidance for designing healthier learning environments to help usher in a more promising future.
CHAPTER 1 AN INTRODUCTION TO SUSTAINABLE SCHOOLS.
Need for Sustainable Buildings.
Benefits of Sustainable Schools.
Elements of Sustainable Schools.
Putting It All Together.
CHAPTER 2 PLANNING STRATEGIES.
Selecting the Team.
Funding the Sustainable School.
CHAPTER 3 DESIGN STRATEGIES.
Unique K–12 Considerations.
CHAPTER 4 DAYLIGHTING.
Benefits of Daylighting.
Site Design and Daylighting.
Daylighting Light Requirements.
Building Design for Daylighting.
Specifics of Opening Design.
CHAPTER 5 BUILDING STRUCTURE AND ENVELOPE (Eric Corey Freed, LEED-AP).
Initial Considerations in Wall Design.
Alternative Wall Construction Methods.
Water and Moisture Control.
CHAPTER 6 HEATING, VENTILATING, COOLING, AND PLUMBING (Ron Blue, PE, LEED-AP).
Design for Natural Ventilation.
CHAPTER 7 LANDSCAPING AND SITE DESIGN.
The Third Teacher—Guest Essay, Susan Herrington.
Water-Efficient Irrigation Systems.
Miscellaneous Site Uses.
Planting the Play Environment.
Integrating Sustainable Practices.
CHAPTER 8 FINISHES, EQUIPMENT, AND FURNISHINGS.
Paints and Coatings.
Casework and Furnishings.
Computers and Offi ce Equipment.
CHAPTER 9 COST AND BIDDING PROCESS.
Alternative Project Delivery Methods.
CHAPTER 10 CONSTRUCTION.
Sustainable Job-Site Operations.
Construction and Demolition Waste Management.
Indoor Air Quality Protection during Construction.
Deconstruction versus Demolition.
CHAPTER 11 OPERATIONS.
Sustainable Schools—Guest Essay, Virginia Waik and Rosanna Lerma.
School Facilities as Vehicles for Learning.
CHAPTER 12 MAINTENANCE.
The Last Word.
CHAPTER 13 A LOOK INTO A FUTURE FOR EDUCATION.
School and Community Interface.
New Models of Sustainability.
Eric Corey Freed, LEED AP, the founding principal of organicARCHITECT (organicarchitect.com) based in San Francisco and Palm Springs, California, is a nationally known sustainability expert who is the author of Green Building and Remodeling for Dummies, published by Wiley.
Sustainable School Architecture: Design for Elementary and Secondary Schools (US $85.00)
Total List Price: US $114.95
Discounted Price: US $86.21 (Save: US $28.74)