Partnerships for Service-Learning: Impacts on Communities and Students
July 2009, Jossey-Bass
Preface (Todd Kelshaw, Freyda Lazarus, and Judy Minier).
About the Editors.
About the Contributors
Part I: Service-Learning Partnerships in Community Contexts.
1. The Student Coalition for Strengthening Communities: A Service-Learning Partnership Between P–12 Schools and a Preservice Teacher Education Program (Jeffrey B. Anderson, Christopher Daikos, Jon Granados-Greenberg, and Audra Rutherford).
2. Reflections on University-School Partnerships at Providence College’s Feinstein Institute for Public Service (Keith Morton and Jane Callahan).
3. Metropolitan State University: Connecting with Community Through a University-Public Library Partnership (Robert Shumer, Susan Shumer, Rebecca Ryan, Joanna Brookes, M. Alejandra Reyes Cejudo, and Karin DuPaul).
4. Advancing Service-Learning Through Program Evaluation (Nancy Nisbett, Sally Cahill Tannenbaum, and Brent Smither).
5. Project ACtion for Equity: Service-Learning with a Gender Equity Focus on the U.S.-Mexico Border (Judith H. Munter, Joesefina V. Tinajero, Sylvia Peregrino, and Reynaldo Reyes III).
Part II: Learning Processes and Outcomes of Service-Learning Partnerships.
6. STEM Literacy, Civic Responsibility, and Future Vision: Examining the Effects of the Lawrence Math and Science Partnership (Linda C. Foote and Julie E. DiFilippo).
7. School-Based Service-Learning as Action Research (Deborah S. Yost and Elizabeth Soslau).
8. Experiencing Engineering While Helping Others: UMass Lowell’s Assistive Technology Design Fair (Douglas Prime and Donald Rhine).
9. Program Theory: A Framework for Collaborative Measurement of Service-Learning Outcomes (Joannie Busillo Aguayo and Joyce Munsch).
Afterword (Ira Harkavy).
University presidents, academic officers, student affairs administrators, directors, deans, faculty, student leaders, and K12 administrators who oversee programs with outside partners will benefit from this enlightening work.”
—American Democracy Project blog, October 16, 2009