The Trouble With Black Boys: ...And Other Reflections on Race, Equity, and the Future of Public Education
June 2009, Jossey-Bass
Part One: The Student Experience.
1. Joaquin’s Dilemma: Understanding the Link Between Racial Identity and School-Related Behaviors.
2. The Trouble with Black Boys: The Impact of Social and Cultural Forces on the Academic Achievement of African American Males.
3. And What Will Become of Children Like Miguel Fernández?/Y Qué Pasará Con Jóvenes.
Como Miguel Fernández? Education, Immigration, and the Future of Latinos in the United States.
4. How Listening to Students Can Help Schools to Improve.
Part Two: The Search for Equity.
5. Latino Youth: Immigration, Education, and the Future.
6. Preventing and Producing Violence: A Critical Analysis of Responses to School Violence.
7. Schools, Prisons, and Social Implications of Punishment: Rethinking Disciplinary Practices.
8. Racial Politics and the Elusive Quest for Excellence and Equity in Education.
Part Three: The Schools We Need.
9. Reclaiming the Promise of Public Education With Alan Blankstein.
10. Standards for What? Accountability for Whom? Rethinking Standards-Based Reform in Public Education.
11. Racial Isolation, Poverty, and the Limits of Local Control as a Means for Holding Public Schools Accountable.
12. Transforming Urban Schools Through Investments in Social Capital.
Notes and References.
Epilogue: Joaquin’s Dilemma Revisited.
Pedro A. Noguera is a professor at the Steinhardt School of Education at New York University, the executive director of the Metropolitan Center for Urban Education, and the co-director of the Institute for the Study of Globalization and Education in Metropolitan Settings (IGEMS). Noguera received the 2008 Race and Gender Equity Award from the Schott Foundation for Public Education.
The Trouble With Black Boys: ...And Other Reflections on Race, Equity, and the Future of Public Education (US $18.95)
-and- Unfinished Business: Closing the Racial Achievement Gap in Our Schools (US $18.95)
Total List Price: US $37.90
Discounted Price: US $28.42 (Save: US $9.48)