Living With Someone Who's Living With Bipolar Disorder: A Practical Guide for Family, Friends, and Coworkers
January 2010, Jossey-Bass
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
An essential resource for anyone who has a close relationship with a person who is bipolar
This book provides a much-needed resource for family and friends of the more than 5 million American adults suffering from bipolar disorder. From psychotic behavior that requires medication to milder mood swings with disturbing ups and down, this book offers a warm and often humorous user-friend guide for coping with bipolar loved ones, colleagues, and friends. The book includes
- Guidance for identifying bipolar disorder symptoms and how to get the diagnosis confirmed
- Strategies for dealing with rants, attacks, blame, depression, mania and other behaviors
- Crucial information on medication and its effectiveness and potential side-effects
- Techniques for dealing with attempts to self-medicate with drugs and alcohol
- How many people with bipolar disorders can care for themselves, get help, feel supported and go on with their own lives
This important book contains real-life illustrative examples and a wealth of helpful strategies and coping mechanisms that can be put into action immediately.