Fighting for Your Marriage: A Deluxe Revised Edition of the Classic Best-seller for Enhancing Marriage and Preventing Divorce, 3rd Edition
April 2010, Jossey-Bass
The third edition of the best-selling classic on marriage enhancement and divorce prevention, features the latest research and changes of heart in our culture and society. New and revised, Fighting for Your Marriage is based on the widely acclaimed PREP (Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program) approach. Groundbreaking studies have found that couples can use the strategies of this approach to handle conflict more constructively, protect their happiness, and reduce the odds of breaking up.
- The book is based on more than twenty years of university research
- Explores how to apply the PREP approach to any marriage
- Shows couples how to talk more and fight less, deepen and protect their friendship, and keep the fun alive
- Reveals what it takes to have a more intimate, sensual relationship and how to clarify and act on priorities
The authors have included a wealth of techniques and down-to-earth guidance for all couples who seek to promote greater character and pleasure in their long-term relationships.
Part One: Understanding the Risks on the Road to Lasting Love.
1. Five Keys for a Great Relationship: PREP in a Nutshell.
2. Destructive Patterns: Signs of Danger Ahead.
3. Changing Roles, Changing Rules: Men and Women in Conflict.
Part Two: Teaming Up to Handle Conflict.
4. When What You Heard Isn’t What I Said: Understanding Filters in Communication.
5. Talking Safely Without Fighting: The Speaker Listener Technique.
6. Controlling the Home Fires: Handling Issues and Events Well.
7. New Perspectives on Problems and Problem Solving.
8. Keeping Confl ict Under Control: Ground Rules for a Great Relationship.
Part Three: Enjoying Each Other.
9. Safe Harbor: Preserving and Protecting Friendship.
10. Being There: Supporting One Another in Life.
11. Playing Together: How to Succeed in Fun Without Really Trying.
12. Sense and Sensuality: Enhancing and Protecting Your Sex Life.
13. Sacred Places: Core Beliefs and Spiritual Intimacy.
Part Four: Staying the Course.
14. Why You Can't Always Get What You Want: Unraveling the Mysteries of Expectations.
15. Forgiveness: Restoring Hope.
16. Sticking, Stuck, or Stopped: On the Path to Commitment.
17. Moving Forward.
Getting More Help.
Resources and Training.
About the Authors.
Scott M. Stanley, Ph.D., is codirector of the Center for Marital and Family Studies at the University of Denver.
Susan L. Blumberg, Ph.D., is director of Interpersonal Communication Options in Denver, CO.
In the past decade, the institution of marriage has undergone significant changes. The dramatic rise in cohabitation, the significance of divorce and single parenting, and the negative influence of technological communication are just a few examples of the challenging new trends facing 21st century couples. Now, a classic, best-selling marriage book has been revised to reflect the new frontier in marriage enhancement and divorce prevention.
Building on its successful foundation, FIGHTING FOR YOUR MARRIAGE, 3rd Edition includes the latest research, tips, and techniques -- and is packaged with a brand new instructional DVD showing real couples learning how to improve their marriages under the guidance of experts. In addition, every chapter is updated with almost a decade of a new research, study, and field work. New chapters focus on how couples can decide to have a happy, healthy relationship and protect, preserve and restore love. Other key topics include: expanding positive connections in relationships and learning how to have more fun, be better friends and to support each other in the long run.
Lead authors Howard Markman and Scott Stanley are considered the best researchers at translating their findings into simple but powerful tools for couples to use in transforming their relationship. They are working with state and federal governments, the army, and other national organizations on marriage enhancement and divorce prevention. Using the worldwide leader in couples relationship education, PREP© - the Prevention and Relationship Enhancement Program, they’ve taught thousands of couples, all over the world, the skills and attitudes associated with lasting relationships.
Whether readers are looking to enhance the success of a good marriage or wanting to improve a bad one, FIGHTING FOR YOUR MARRIAGE is the book to read.