Baby Boomers and Beyond: Tapping the Ministry Talents and Passions of Adults over 50
July 2010, Jossey-Bass
With the explosion of the older adult population, this important book explores the opportunities and challenges that this presents for the Christian community. Amy Hanson challenges us to let go of many old stereotypes regarding aging and embrace a new paradigm that sees older adults as active, healthy and capable of making significant contributions.
- Debunks the myths of aging that keep us from fully embracing the potential of people in life's second half
- Offers suggestions on how to re-invent ministry with older adults
- Focuses on unleashing older adults to serve and make an impact on churches and congregations
- A volume in the Leadership Network series
The author shows church leaders how they can unleash the power of the baby boomer population to strengthen their congregations.
Introduction: Reinventing Ministry with Older Adults.
Part One: Ready for More: The New Old.
1. A Wake-Up Call for the Church: A Reality We Can't Ignore.
2. Not What You Thought: New Ways to Think About Aging.
Part Two: The Boomer-and-Beyond World.
3. Aging Well.
4. Relationships and Responsibilities.
5. Retirement: What It Is and What It Is Becoming.
Part Three: Harnessing the Potential: Implications for the Church.
6. Letting Go of the “One Size Fits All” Mentality.
7. Serving: The Linchpin of a Successful Ministry.
8. Matters of Faith: Spiritual Growth for the Boomer.
9. Melding the Generations.
Conclusion: An Uncharted Opportunity.
About the Author.
Amy Hanson, Ph.D., is a speaker, teacher, writer, and consultant who is passionate about motivating church leaders to engage older adults in significant Kingdom work. By the age of twenty-three, she led the active adult (fifty plus) ministries at Central Christian Church in Las Vegas. Today she unites her doctorate in gerontology and her ministry experience to educate and equip pastors, denominational leaders, students, health care professionals, and older adults on the unique oppor-tunities of an aging America.
To learn more visit amyhanson.org.
The oldest Baby Boomer turned 62 in 2008, and there are 76 million of them fast approaching the second chapter of life. This is the first time in history when such a large number of people are expected to live into their later years with health, energy and experience. Because this is a new phenomenon, many church leaders are wondering what this means for their churches. Now, as this age group approaches retirement, they are questioning where they should be involved and how they should spend their time. Ultimately this will affect the work of the church, either positively (by unleashing the serving potential resident in this group) or negatively (by missing the opportunity to reinvent this season of life and serve their faith communities).
BABY BOOMERS AND BEYOND: Tapping the Ministry Talents and Passions of Adults over 50 (Jossey Bass, an imprint of Wiley; August 2010; $24.95; Cloth; ISBN: 978-0-470-50079-8) by Amy Hanson explains the explosion of older adults that is fast hitting our world and the opportunities as well as challenges that this presents for the Christian community. Readers will be challenged to let go of many old stereotypes regarding aging and embrace a new paradigm that sees older adults as active, healthy and capable of making significant contributions.
BABY BOOMERS AND BEYOND will:
- Debunk the myths of aging that keep us from fully embracing the potential of people in life’s second half,
- Explain who the aging Boomer is so that people can effectively minister with them, and
- Suggest how to re-invent ministry with older adults with a focus on unleashing them to serve and make an impact on churches and congregations.
In BABY BOOMERS AND BEYOND, Hanson shows church leaders how they can unleash the power of the baby boomer population to strengthen their congregations.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Baby Boomers and Beyond: Tapping the Ministry Talents and Passions of Adults over 50 (US $26.95)
Total List Price: US $49.90
Discounted Price: US $37.42 (Save: US $12.48)