Church 3.0: Upgrades for the Future of the Church
February 2010, Jossey-Bass
An expert practitioner answers to questions about the burgeoning organic church movement
Neil Cole's best-selling book Organic Church described the fastest growing segment of contemporary Christianity-the so-called organic church. Now in this next-step book, he answers questions about how to deal with theological and organizational issues that come up. He talks about issues such has what to do with finances, children, heresy, leader training, and rituals and ordinances. Without the top-down structure of a denomination, even people who are proponents of this small, house-church model worry that they are not doing it right.
- Offers an important resource for anyone involved with or thinking of starting an organic or house church
- Addresses practical issues of theology, rituals, doctrinal heresy, how to handle children, finances, and other important questions
- Written by an acknowledged expert who is now and has been for over twenty years an organic church planter and practitioner
- A new Leadership Network title and follow-up to Organic Church
Church 3.0 offers solid information about organic churches based on Cole's extensive experience in starting, nurturing, and mentoring in the organic church movement.
Introduction: What About This Book? Shifting from Church 2.0 to 3.0.
Part One: Global Changes Demand a Better Church.
1. What About the World We Live In? From a Village Church to a Global Village.
2. What About Our Changing Culture? From Ministry in a Modern World to Postmodern.
Part Two: Structural Issues.
3. What About the Church's Mission? From Coming to Going.
4. What About Church Growth? From Incremental to Exponential.
5. What About Church Models? Part One: From Congregations to Networks.
6. What About Church Models? Part Two: From Centralized to Decentralized.
7. What About Larger Gatherings? From One-Size-Fits-All to Tailored Groups for Effective Function.
Part Three: Pragmatic Concerns.
8. What About Evangelism? From Drawing Converts to Catalyzing Movements.
9. What About Baptism and Communion? From Sacerdotal Rituals to Apostolic Genius.
10. What About Kids? From a Scholastic Model to a Spiritual Family.
11. What About Heresy? From Better-Trained Pastors to Better-Trained People.
12. What About Finances? From Ten Percent to the Whole Enchilada.
Conclusion: What About My Church? From Being Educated to Being. Empowered.
neil cole is an experienced and innovative church planter and pastor. He is the founder of the Awakening Chapels, which are reaching young postmodern people in urban settings, and a founder and executive director of Church Multiplication Associates. He is the author of Organic Church as well as Search and Rescue, Organic Leadership, and Cultivating a Life for God.
Many pastors and church leaders have been intrigued by the organic church model of small house churches that Neil Cole described in his popular book, Organic Church. Some even wonder if it’s even sustainable. Their interest is accompanied by practical concerns such as: How do you prevent doctrinal heresy? How do you handle children? What about finances and baptism and communion? And what kinds of buildings and facilities are required?
In CHURCH 3.0: Upgrades for the Future of the Church (Jossey-Bass, a Wiley imprint; February 2010; $24.95; Hardcover; ISBN: 978-0-470-52945-4),
author, church planter, consultant, and innovative pastor Neil Cole takes church leaders into the 21st century with an in-depth exploration of what it means to be an organic church—intimate, accountable, and capable of infinite replication.
Chapters address these questions and offer a radical model, based on the practices of the first century Christians, for being church. This isn’t a question of tinkering with the church’s existing operating system; it’s a full upgrade to a whole new version of how to define mission, what to do and not do, and how to reach the many lost souls looking for a way to connect to faith. CHURCH 3.0, a new addition to the Leadership Network series, leverages Cole's extensive experience in starting, nurturing, and mentoring the organic church movement and forges the way for a global multiplication movement.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Church 3.0: Upgrades for the Future of the Church (US $24.95)
Total List Price: US $47.90
Discounted Price: US $35.92 (Save: US $11.98)