Broke: What Every American Business Must Do to Restore Our Financial Stability and Protect Our Future
What principled business leaders can do to solve America's current financial crisis
Broke is a startling wake-up call for America and an honest accounting of what our future holds if we don't take charge and change our country for the better. If the business of America is business, then it's up to our business leaders to solve the mess we're in. Broke offers practical, nonpolitical, and nonpartisan solutions that every business leader can implement today for a better tomorrow.
Whether you operate a giant corporation or a local small business, you'll find practical steps to limit future risks, strengthen every business, stabilize the current economy, and help turn the country around. Author John Mumford has spent decades helping business leaders turn around failing companies. Now, he helps them to turn around a failing country.
- Presents bold initiatives and concrete steps every business leader can use to create a better future-for their businesses and for the country
- Includes practical, actionable steps for every business leader who wants to build for the future, while preserving the best of his or her existing enterprise.
- Shows how business leaders can contribute to the solutions for our problems concerning public debt, the environment, and international relations
- Offers a turnaround plan for the country ideal for use by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, small business organizations, non-profits and others as the centerpiece of a 2010 campaign for America's turnaround
- Endorsed by current and former CEO's, top business school leaders, former governors and senators, and leading journalists
Desperate times call for creative, effective measures, not desperation. If you're a business leader, here's how you can do your part.
PART I BUSINESS LEADERSHIP IN TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY AMERICA.
Chapter 1 Down a Dark Road.
Chapter 2 The Dilemma—Is America Off Course?
Chapter 3 Applying Timeless Principles to Business Leadership.
Chapter 4 Business Leadership and the Political Process.
PART II PRINCIPLED LEADERSHIP AND FINANCIAL STABILITY.
Chapter 5 The Vital Role of Business Leaders—Getting Your Enterprise in Top Shape.
Chapter 6 Overcoming the Declining Dollar.
Chapter 7 Managing Business Debt (So It Doesn't Manage You!).
Chapter 8 Avoiding Derivatives and Financial Tsunamis.
Chapter 9 Preparing for Inevitable Disasters.
Chapter 10 Controlling Inflation's Damage to Business.
Chapter 11 Avoiding the Liquidity Traps.
Chapter 12 Maintaining Sound Business Pensions.
Chapter 13 Business and Our Nation's Financial Stability.
PART III MANAGING VITAL RESOURCES.
Chapter 14 Water—Business and a New Direction.
Chapter 15 Business Solutions to Energy Gridlock.
Chapter 16 Environment—Renewal and Redirection.
Chapter 17 Infrastructure Renewal—Business Can Lead.
PART IV PRINCIPLED BUSINESS LEADERSHIP AND OUR GLOBAL CHALLENGES.
Chapter 18 Business and Renewed International Relationships.
Chapter 19 Business and the Limits to Empire.
Chapter 20 Overcoming Technology Losses.
Chapter 21 Limiting the Impact of Terror.
Chapter 22 Business Solutions for the Developing World.
Chapter 23 Business and International Environmental Resources.
PART V BUSINESS: LEADING OR FOLLOWING—THE CHOICE IS OURS.
Chapter 24 The Role of Principled Leadership in America's Turnaround.
Chapter 25 A Tale of Two Nations—Which Path Will We Choose?
Appendix A America's Economic / Business Leadership Failures: 1965 to the Present
Appendix B Repaying America's Debt: Staffing the National Service Corps: 2010 to 2030.
Appendix C Meeting America's Growing Power Demands.
About the Author.