Mechanics of Materials: An Integrated Learning System, 2nd Edition
March 2011, ©2011
- Communicating visually- The illustrations use color, shading, perspective, and dimension to clearly convey concepts while striving to place these concepts in the context of real world components and objects. These illustrations have been prepared by an engineer to be used by engineers to train future engineers.
- MecMovies-The text integrates computer based instruction into the traditional textbook format with the addition of the MecMovies instructional software.
- Problem-solving schema- The textbook and software include a number of multimedia features aimed at helping students organize and categorize the Mechanics of Materials concepts and problem-solving procedures.
- Style and clarity of examples- To a great extent, the Mechanics of Materials course is taught through examples, and consequently, this textbook places great emphasis on the presentation and quality of example problems. The commentary and the illustrations associated with example problems are particularly important for the learner. The commentary explains why various steps are taken and describes the rationale for each step in a solution process while the illustrations help build the mental imagery needed to transfer the concepts to differing situations.
- Homework philosophy- This textbook includes over 1080 homework problems in a range of difficulty suitable for learners at various stages of development. Problems have been designed with the intent of building the technical foundation and skills necessary for success in subsequent engineering design courses. The problems are intended to be challenging but at the same time practical and pertinent to traditional engineering practice.