Comebacks: Powerful Lessons from Leaders Who Endured Setbacks and Recaptured Success on Their Terms
April 2010, Jossey-Bass
Insight from leaders who experienced major setbacks and redefined success
In tough economic times, when careers are derailed and leaders are forced to rewrite their professional plans, this book enlightens and uplifts. Comebacks features an all-star cast of ten leaders who endured setbacks-for some a public fall in the midst of media scrutiny-then reassessed and moved ahead with new purpose. Based on revealing interviews, the book presents a behind-the–headlines glimpse into the lives of leaders; how they drew upon resources, both internal and external, to move on; and the lessons that helped them redefine success. Leaders profiled include:
- Jacques Nasser, former CEO of Ford Motor Co., recently appointed Chairman of BHP Billiton, the world's largest natural resources company
- Patricia Dunn, former Chair of Hewlett-Packard, vilified for her alleged role in corporate espionage only to be exonerated from all charges, today active in philanthropy
- Jamie Dimon (JP Morgan), Herbert "Pug" Winokur (Enron Corp.), David Neeleman (JetBlue), and more
Redmond, a top executive recruiter, and Crisafulli, author of The House of Dimon, show how all leaders face adversity, but true leaders turn adversity into success.
1. David Neeleman: When It's Time to Move On.
2. David Pottruck: A Portrait in Candor.
3. Patricia Dunn: Trial by Fire.
4. Christopher Galvin: The Power of Resilience.
5. Herbert "Pug" Winokur: After the Storm.
6. Harry M. Jansen Kraemer, Jr.: Values-Based Leadership.
7. Jacques "Jac" Nasser: New Life After a Long Career.
8. Durk Jager: Peace of Mind and Walking Away.
9. Jamie Dimon: The Ultimate Comeback.
10. Dale Dawson: Pursuing a Life of Passion.
About the Authors.
Andrea Redmond is a well-regarded consultant who works with select clients including corporate boards, CEOs, and private investors on executive recruiting, management assessment, and succession needs. Prior to that, she spent twenty years with a global executive recruiting firm. As an expert in CEO selection, she recruited CEOs for several Fortune 500 companies. She serves on the Board of Directors of Children's Memorial Hospital, Northwestern University Hospital, and the Robert H. Lurie Cancer Center. In January 2010 Andrea joined the Board of Directors of The Allstate Corporation.
Patricia Crisafulli is an accomplished writer, ghost-writer, and author who has written numerous books, including The House of Dimon, a leadership profile of JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. A former business journalist, Crisafulli was a correspondent and deputy equities editor in the Chicago bureau of Reuters America. Her articles have appeared in the New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Boston Globe, and other national newspapers.
COMEBACKS (Jossey-Bass; $27.95; May 2010) by Andrea Redmond and Patricia Crisafulli profiles ten influential business leaders who suffered a public fall from the pinnacle of their careers, often in the midst of extreme media scrutiny.
The leaders, many of them CEOs, often endured devastating setbacks to their careers and the emotional upheaval that followed—including feelings of vulnerability, embarrassment, and public humiliation. Through resilience, self-knowledge, inner strength, and relying on close family and associates, each was able to bounce back and move on.
“We wanted to write a book that would provide readers with the kind of introspection that enlightens and uplifts,” says Redmond, whose work with CEOs and other business leaders led her to write COMEBACKS. “The stories in COMEBACKS show the human side of the CEOs who are known mostly in the news headlines.”
“We are so grateful to the leaders profiled for sharing their stories so candidly,” adds co-author Crisafulli, who wrote The House of Dimon (Wiley, 2009). “We hope that readers will find leadership lessons, both personal and professional, between the lines.”
Although the “comeback” process was unique to each individual, there are similarities in their experiences: taking a step back to process what occurred, being deliberate as they moved forward, and using leadership and lessons learned to add value in a different context—often one in which a person has more control over outcome and life choices. Regardless of where they ended up, these leaders show that a real Act II in life is possible.
Some of the high-profile leaders profiled in COMEBACKS include:
- Jamie Dimon, who was at a peak of his career with Citigroup when he was fired as president, and is now the renowned CEO of JPMorgan Chase.
- Former Hewlett-Packard Chair Patricia Dunn, who was forced to resign and then was indicted for corporate espionage charges and while battling cancer, but was exonerated from any wrongdoing and now is active in philanthropic work.
- Former Baxter International CEO Harry Kraemer who, after 22 years at the pharmaceutical firm, had to step down after earnings growth began to slow, and is now a highly regarded business professor at Northwestern University’ Kellogg School of Management and an executive partner in a well-known private equity firm, Madison Dearborn Partners.
- Former Ford Motor Company CEO Jacques Nasser, who was forced to resign from the automaker after devoting years to the company. Later, he joined the successful private equity firm, One Equity Partners. Recently, he assumed the prestigious position of Chairman of Chairman of BHP Billiton, the world's largest natural resources company.
- Former founder and CEO of JetBlue David Neeleman who, asked to step down after a series of weather-related delays in 2007 caused an uproar among passengers and consumers, has moved on to found a new airline in Brazil.
Together, the ten profiles reveal that all leaders face adversity, but true leaders turn adversity into success—and redefine success through their leadership. Honest and soul-searching, the stories in COMEBACKS will resonate with readers who are experiencing their own reversal, are disillusioned by career choices, or are exploring other paths aligned with their values and priorities.
Comebacks: Powerful Lessons from Leaders Who Endured Setbacks and Recaptured Success on Their Terms (US $27.95)
-and- The Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership: Nursing (US $10.00)
Total List Price: US $37.95
Discounted Price: US $28.46 (Save: US $9.49)