Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes and Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
Use eye-popping visual tools to energize your people!
Just as social networking has reclaimed the Internet for human interactivity and co-creation, the visual meetings movement is reclaiming creativity, productivity, and playful exchange for serious work in groups.
Visual Meetings explains how anyone can implement
powerful visual tools, and how these tools are being used in
Silicon Valley and elsewhere to facilitate both face-to-face and
virtual group work. This dynamic and richly illustrated resource
gives meeting leaders, presenters, and consultants a slew of
exciting tricks and tools, including
- Graphic recording, visual planning, story boarding, graphic templates, idea mapping, etc.
- Creative ways to energize team building, sales presentations, staff meetings, strategy sessions, brainstorming, and more
- Getting beyond paper and whiteboards to engage new media platforms
- Understanding emerging visual language for leading groups
Unlocking formerly untapped creative resources for business success, Visual Meetings will help you and your team communicate ideas more effectively and engagingly.
The Power of Visual Meetings xi
I: Just Imagine
What if Meetings Were Really Fun AND Productive? 1
1. Visualization Is Worth 80 IQ Points / Tapping Energy, Intelligence, & Creativity 3
2. Everybody Knows Graphic Language / It’s Gesture with a Pen 19
3. Four Easy Ways to Get Started / Personal Visualization, Napkins & Flipcharts, Graphic Templates, & Getting Others to Draw 37
II: Engaging Groups & Building Rapport
Why Visual Listening Is So Compelling (and Easy!) 51
4. Getting People Involved / Using Pictures to Interact 53
5. Presentation without PowerPoint / Simple Drawings & Graphic Templates 69
6. Consulting & Selling with Graphics / Drawing Out Customer Interests 81
7. Hands-On Information / Sticky Notes & Dot Voting 89
8. Using Images & Interaction / Collage & Picture Cards 97
III: Graphics for Visual Thinking
Mapping Ideas & Finding Key Patterns 107
9. Group Graphics / Seven Ways to Write on the Wall 109
10. Problem Solving / Getting Unstuck & Thinking around Corners 133
11. Storyboarding & Idea Mapping / How Innovators & Designers Work 147
12. Visual Planning / Using Graphic Templates to See the Big Picture 157
13. Multiple Meetings & Gallery Walks / Making Sense of Things over Space & Time 173
14. Digital Capture / Extending Your Meeting with Visual Documentation 183
15. Visualizing at a Distance / Using Tablets in Web Meetings 189
IV: Graphics for Enacting Plans
Visuals for Teams, Projects, & Getting Results 195
16. Supporting Team Performance / Visualizing Goals, Roles, & Action Plans 197
17. Decision-Making Meetings / Aligning on Agreements & Getting Commitments 205
18. Project Management Meetings / Mapping Progress with Pictures 209
19. Facilitating Innovation & Change / Playing with Prototypes 215
20. Training & Workshops / Leveraging Action Learning 223
V: Seeing It All Come Together
Tools for the Seriously Hooked 229
21. The Path to Visual Competency / Learning from the Groups You Lead 231
22. The Future Is Visible Now! / Seeds of a Real Revolution in Meetings 237
23. Resources & Networks / Grove Tools, Web Resources, Bibliography 247
“David Sibbet is the father of visual facilitation. This book finally lets us see meetings as he sees them—as eye-opening opportunities to discover what people really think. David’s approach to visually recording and visually facilitating meetings will help you become a better meeting leader and participant, see a whole new side of business—and a whole new side of yourself.” –Dan Roam, author of The Back of the Napkin
“I have experienced the transformative power of David’s pioneering visual methods and tools. Open this book and you will get a clear vision of collaboration in the future—groups inspired and energized, tapping into their collective wisdom to create sustainable solutions: the global brain at work.” –Meryem Le Saget, Meryem Le Saget Consulting, Paris
“David Sibbet is a genius. Buy this book, and study it, not only for better meetings, but for better organizations, better teams, and a better future.” –Alan M. Webber, co-founder of Fast Company magazine
“This amazing book shows you how visualization can bring clarity to the growing complexity around us.” –Bob Johansen, Distinguished Fellow, Institute for the Future
“This book is like David’s workshops—fun and fruitful. Time and again, I have seen the principles and processes described in this book yield a rich harvest among audiences in Singapore.” –Dawn Yip, Soulbreath Consulting Singapore
“Visual Meetings is an elegant and immensely practical guide to transforming group productivity. It provides novices with a fast start to making the most of scarce group time.” –Paul Saffo, Technology Forecaster Visiting Scholar, Stanford Media-X Network
“’What If Meetings Were Really Fun AND Productive?’ Can you imagine? Visual meetings master David Sibbet has done it—put all the competency, wisdom, language, technique, resources, tools, everything you need in one delightful book?” –Robert E. Horn, author of Visual Language: Global Communication for the 21st Century
VISUAL MEETINGS by David Sibbet will treat readers to a sweep of tricks and tools. Just as social networking has begun to reclaim the Internet for human interactivity and co-creation, the visual meetings movement is reclaiming everyday work for creativity, productivity and playful exchange. Also, keep in mind to become part of the movement - Drawing expertise is not necessary!
It's what organizations need, what the planet needs, and anyone who wants to work both right and left parts of their brain and use their whole body to communicate. VISUAL MEETINGS is using drawing and images the way people have always used spoken language as a real-time medium for making sense out of things, and literally "seeing what we mean!"
It is about the movement beyond paper and whiteboards to all kinds of other media, and the steady growth of a common visual language and sets of conventions. If you haven't heard of visual meetings, graphic facilitation, graphic recording, sketch notes, visual recording, imagineering, story boarding, visual listening, group graphics, graphic templates, mind mapping, idea mapping, real-time design, or group graphics...don't despair. Revolutions take time to gather momentum, spreading along for years and then exploding into sight.
VISUAL MEETINGS traces the development of visual meetings, and shares the many tools and techniques that have emerged, and ends with a speculation on where it all is going and how to become a part of it. It's intoxicating to draw out the best in people and watch them come alive.