Essentials of Gastroenterology
April 2012, Wiley-Blackwell
Shanti V. Sitaraman, Professor of Medicine and Pathology, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Lawrence S. Friedman, Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School and Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Are you a student or resident taking a gastroenterology rotation, a fellow in gastroenterology training, or a practitioner approaching GI recertification?
Do you need a rapid-reference, essential guide to help refresh your clinical knowledge?
Essentials of Gastroenterology provides students, residents, and gastroenterologists, especially those in training, with a highly practical, concise guide to the GI system and its major diseases.
Full color throughout, the book covers all conditions encountered during GI training and education programs and in the clinical setting. With a strong focus on the clinical aspects of GI disease, it highlights the specific scenarios you will be presented with when managing your patients on the wards.
Each section looks at a particular area of the GI tract, with each disease-related chapter examining the following:
- overview of normal function
- physiology and pathophysiology
- clinical presentation
- differential diagnosis
- diagnostic tests
- treatment/management options
In addition, there is a section dedicated to the most common symptoms that patients present with, as well as a picture gallery of common GI conditions such as peptic ulcers and inflammatory bowel disease.
Drs. Sitaraman and Friedman have ensured that the key emphasis throughout is on providing easy-to-assimilate, rapid-reference information on each GI condition, achieved through the use of color-coded text features such as key facts, potential pitfalls, and practice tips. Packed with multiple choice questions and specific clinical case studies, the book also draws upon the guidelines and recommendations of the world’s leading gastroenterology societies – the AGA, ASGE, ACG, BSG, WGO, and UEGF.
This combination of an easy-to-access structure and outstanding clinical content ensures that Essentials of Gastroenterology is the ideal point-of-care tool in today’s busy clinical setting and is truly essential reading for all members of the gastroenterology team.
Luminal Gastrointestinal Tract – Jan-Michael A. Klapproth and Shanthi Srinivasan
1. Gastroesophageal Refl ux Disease – Jennifer Christie, 3
2. Dysphagia – Emad Qayed and Shanthi Srinivasan, 17
3. Peptic Ulcer Disease – Shanthi V. Sitaraman and Lawrence S. Friedman, 32
4. Common Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeries – Marc B. Sonenshine and Edward Lin, 43
5. Acute Diarrhea – Sagar Garud and Jan-Michael A. Klapproth, 60
6. Chronic Diarrhea – Robin E. Rutherford, 79
7. Irritable Bowel Syndrome – Shanthi Srinivasan, 96
8. Infl ammatory Bowel Disease – Jan-Michael A. Klapproth, 103
9. Constipation – Shanthi Srinivasan, 121
10. Colorectal Neoplasms – Muhammad Fuad Azrak and Vincent W. Yang, 132
Liver – Frank A. Anania
11. Liver Anatomy and Histopathology – Frank A. Anania, 149
12. Liver Biochemical Tests – Nader Dbouk and Samir Parekh, 158
13. Viral Hepatitis – Shanthi V. Sitaraman and Lawrence S. Friedman, 174
14. Alcoholic Liver Disease and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease – Andrew J. Simpson and Ryan M. Ford, 190
15. Chronic Liver Disease – Preeti A. Reshamwala, 205
16. Portal Hypertension – Sonali S. Sakaria and Ram Subramanian, 222
Pancreas and Biliary System – Field F. Willingham
17. Pancreatic Anatomy and Function – Field F. Willingham, 247
18. Acute Pancreatitis – Steven Keilin, 260
19. Chronic Pancreatitis – Anthony Gamboa, Xuan Zhu, and Qiang Cai, 277
20. Bile Acid Metabolism – Nicole M. Griglione and Field F. Willingham, 291
21. Gallstones and Complications – Julia Massaad, 300
Common Problems in Gastroenterology – Jan-Michael A. Klapproth and Shanthi V. Sitaraman
22. Acute Gastrointestinal Bleeding – Tanvi Dhere, 317
23. Abdominal Pain – Kamil Obideen, 335
24. Jaundice – Nader Dbouk and Preeti A. Reshamwala, 344
25. Abdominal Emergencies – Mohammad Wehbi, 357
Picture Gallery – Shanthi Srinivasan and Shanthi V. Sitaraman
26. Classic Pathology – Neal R. Patel, Meena Prasad, Douglas C. Parker, Charles W. Sewell, and Henry C. Olejeme, 377
27. Classic Images – Abhijit Datir, William Small, and Pardeep Mittal, 399
28. Classic Skin Manifestations – Melanie S. Harrison, Robert A. Swerlick, and Zakiya P. Rice, 418
“There is plenty of competition out there both large and small. For medical students and residents early in training, this book compares well with most (and is a tribute to the editors), but for GI fellows and gastroenterologists recertifying other sources such as Practical Gastroenterology and Hepatologyedited by Mayo Clinic gastroenterologists (including this reviewer) are likely to prove more useful.” (Gastroenterology, 1 June 2013)
Essentials of Gastroenterology (US $99.95)
-and- Problem-based Approach to Gastroenterology and Hepatology (US $88.95)
Total List Price: US $188.90
Discounted Price: US $141.67 (Save: US $47.23)