Forecast Verification: A Practitioner's Guide in Atmospheric Science, 2nd Edition
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
Other Available Formats: E-book
Reviews of first edition:
"This book will provide a good reference, and I recommend it especially for developers and evaluators of statistical forecast systems." (Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society; April 2004)
"...a good mixture of theory and practical applications...well organized and clearly written..." (Royal Statistical Society, Vol.168, No.1, January 2005)
NEW to the second edition:
- Completely updated chapter on the Verification of Spatial Forecasts taking account of the wealth of new research in the area
- New separate chapters on Probability Forecasts and Ensemble Forecasts
- Includes new chapter on Forecasts of Extreme Events and Warnings
- Includes new chapter on Seasonal and Climate Forecasts
- Includes new Appendix on Verification Software
Cover image credit: The triangle of barplots shows a novel use of colour for visualizing probability forecasts of ternary categories – see Fig 6b of Jupp et al. 2011, On the visualisation, verification and recalibration of ternary probabilistic forecasts, Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. (in press).