An Unsafe Bet?: The Dangerous Rise of Gambling and the Debate We Should Be Having
- Lays bare the extent of gambling and its effects on society
- Exposes the dilemma for policy makers, who are charged with protecting public health but also increasingly dependent on revenues earned from gambling
- Written by Jim Orford, an internationally respected authority on the topic
- International examples broaden the argument and reveal the global stakes involved
Section I: Gambling is Growing.
1. The Extraordinary International Growth of Gambling.
2. The Rise of Gambling in Britain.
Section II: Gambling is Dangerous.
3. Gambling Addiction.
4. Modern Addiction Theory Applied to Gambling.
5. Does the Fault Lie in the Person or in the Product?
Section III: Gambling is Controversial.
6. Discourses of Gambling: ElevenWays of Talking About the Subject.
7. Public Attitudes Towards Gambling Are Negative.
8. The Costs and Benefits of Gambling for Society: A Hotly Contested Subject.
Section IV: Gambling Expansion is Not Being Challenged.
9. Governments Are Complicit in Supporting the Interests of the Gambling Industry.
10. Trapped: The Disempowering Effects of Failure to Challenge the Growth of Gambling.
11. Conclusions and Recommendations: The DebateWe Should be Having.
—Professor Roy Light, Director of Research, Bristol Law School, UK
"There is growing interest in this topic internationally,
coinciding with continued expansion of gambling and increased
awareness of individual and societal harms associated with some
gambling forms. Jim Orford has a solid understanding of the UK
situation and its international context, and writes in a clear,
interesting manner. His singular, coherent presentation will help
inform public and political debate regarding gambling
—Professor Max Abbott, Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean, Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences, Auckland University of Technology
An Unsafe Bet?: The Dangerous Rise of Gambling and the Debate We Should Be Having (US $107.95)
-and- Internet Addiction: A Handbook and Guide to Evaluation and Treatment (US $60.00)
Total List Price: US $167.95
Discounted Price: US $125.96 (Save: US $41.99)