Handbook of Veterinary Nursing
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
The book is laid out in note form and information is quick and easy to find with the use of bullets and tables. The emphasis is on the importance of working methodologically to a systematic routine using high quality procedures, thus helping the whole veterinary team ensure the most successful outcomes in animal care.
SECTION 1. THE WARD.
1. Ward Management - Introduction.
2. Cleaning and Disinfection of Animal Accommodation.
3. The Clinical Examination of Small Animals.
4. Nutritional Support.
5. Cleaning and Grooming the Patient.
6. Dressings and Bandages.
8. Administration and Dispensing of Medications.
9. Preparation and Administration of an Enema.
10. Urinary Catheterisation.
SECTION 2. THEATRE PRACTICE.
11. An Introduction to Theatre Management.
12. Preparation of the Theatre for Surgery.
13. Preparation of the Surgical Team.
14. Preparation of the Patient for Theatre.
15. Assisting During Surgery.
16. Sterilising Equipment for Theatre.
17. Care of Surgical Instruments.
SECTION 3. SURGICAL NURSING.
18. Assistance During Caesarean Section (C-Section Hysterotomy).
20. Skin Suturing Techniques.
21. Practical Care of Wounds.
SECTION 4. ANAESTHESIA.
22. Introduction - Evaluation of the Patient.
23. Endotracheal Intubation.
24. Monitoring General Anaesthesia.
25. The Anaesthetic Machine.
26. Anaesthetic Systems.
SECTION 5. RADIOGRAPHY.
27. Practical Radiography.
28. Selection of Exposure Factors.
29. Radiographic Positioning.
30. The Processing of Radiographs.
31. Appraisal of the Film.
32. Contrast Studies.
SECTION 6. LABORATORY TECHNIQUES.
33. Introduction - The Laboratory.
34. Blood Tests.
35. Urine Tests.
36. Faecal Tests.
37. Bacteriology Tests.
SECTION 7. EMERGENCY CARE AND FIRST AID.
39. Initial Assessment.
40. Emergency Procedures.
41. Fluid Therapy.
42. First Aid - The A-Z of Specific Conditions.
Appendix 1. Care Plans for Surgical and Medical Conditions.
Appendix 2. Calculations.
* Written by authors with many years experience of veterinary nurse training and education
* Includes calculations for drugs, fluids, nutrition and anaesthesia - essential information to have on hand