Essential Mathematics and Statistics for Science, 2nd Edition
June 2009, ©2009
Applied approach providing mathematics and statistics from the first to final years of undergraduate science courses.
Second edition substantially revised to improve the learning approach to key topics and the organisation of resources for ease of use in teaching.
Extensive use of video for all worked answers now provides a very successful style of learning support for students via the website.
Website also incorporates Excel and Minitab tutorials in addition to self-assessment tests and other resources: www.wiley.com/go/currellmaths2
On-line Learning Support.
1 Mathematics and Statistics in Science.
1.1 Data and Information.
1.2 Experimental Variation and Uncertainty.
1.3 Mathematical Models in Science.
2 Scientific Data.
2.1 Scientific Numbers.
2.2 Scientific Quantities.
2.3 Chemical Quantities.
2.4 Angular Measurements.
3 Equations in Science.
3.1 Basic Techniques.
3.2 Rearranging Simple Equations.
3.4 Further Equations.
3.5 Quadratic and Simultaneous Equations.
4 Linear Relationships.
4.1 Straight Line Graph.
4.2 Linear Regression.
5 Logarithmic and Exponential Functions.
5.1 Mathematics of e, ln and log.
5.2 Exponential Growth and Decay.
6 Rates of Change.
6.1 Rate of Change.
7 Statistics for Science.
7.1 Analysing Replicate Data.
7.2 Describing and Estimating.
7.3 Frequency Statistics.
7.5 Factorials, Permutations and Combinations.
8 Distributions and Uncertainty.
8.1 Normal Distribution.
8.2 Uncertainties in Measurement.
8.3 Presenting Uncertainty.
8.4 Binomial and Poisson Distributions.
9 Scientific Investigation.
9.1 Scientific Systems.
9.2 The ‘Scientific Method’.
9.3 Decision Making with Statistics.
9.4 Hypothesis Testing.
9.5 Selecting Analyses and Tests.
10 t -tests and F-tests.
10.1 One-sample t -tests.
10.2 Two-sample t -tests.
10.3 Paired t -tests.
11 ANOVA – Analysis of Variance.
11.1 One-way ANOVA.
11.2 Two-way ANOVA.
11.3 Two-way ANOVA with Replication.
11.4 ANOVA Post Hoc Testing.
12 Non-parametric Tests for Medians.
12.1 One-sample Wilcoxon Test.
12.2 Two-sample Mann–Whitney U-test.
12.3 Paired Wilcoxon Test.
12.4 Kruskal–Wallis and Friedman Tests.
13 Correlation and Regression.
13.1 Linear Correlation.
13.2 Statistics of Correlation and Regression.
13.3 Uncertainty in Linear Calibration.
14 Frequency and Proportion.
14.1 Chi-squared Contingency Table.
14.2 Goodness of Fit.
14.3 Tests for Proportion.
15 Experimental Design.
15.1 Principal Techniques.
15.2 Planning a Research Project.
Appendix I: Microsoft Excel.
Appendix II: Cumulative z -areas for Standard Normal Distribution.
Appendix III: Critical Values: t -statistic and Chi-squared, χ2.
Appendix IV: Critical F-values at 0.05 (95 %) Significance.
Appendix V: Critical Values at 0.05 (95 %) Significance for: Pearson’s Correlation Coefficient, r , Spearman’s Rank Correlation Coefficient, rS, and Wilcoxon Lower Limit, WL.
Appendix VI: Mann–Whitney Lower Limit, UL, at 0.05 (95 %)Significance.
Short Answers to ‘Q’ Questions.
- Additional help for weaker students making text more accessible.
- Moving some sections from the printed book and making them available as pdf downloads onto the web site to help engage students on a more interactive level.
- All existing chapters fully revised and updated to include new literature.
- Website – additional changes have been made and will be revised – to inform students of revised online matieral such as new animated screen captions.
- Applied approach providing mathematics and statistics from the first to final years of undergraduate science courses.
- Second edition substantially revised to improve the learning approach to key topics and the organisation of resources for ease of use in teaching.
- Companion website at www.wiley.com/go/currellmaths2 providing:
- Over 200 videos showing step-by-step workings of problems in the book.
- Additional materials including related topic areas, applications, and tutorials on Excel and Minitab.
- Interactive multiple-choice questions for self-testing, with step-by-step video feedback for any wrong answers.
- A developing resource of study plans for useful topics and applications.
- Figures from the book for downloading.
Essential Mathematics and Statistics for Science, 2nd Edition (US $179.95)
Total List Price: US $280.90
Discounted Price: US $210.67 (Save: US $70.23)