- Provides a comprehensive overview on the research of programmed cell death.
- Edited by leaders in the field.
- Clearly written and illustrated articles.
- Full colour throughout.
- A spin-on to the acclaimed reference work, the Encyclopedia of Life Science (ELS).
- Combines introductory information with coverage of the latest discoveries in the field.
- Features overview level articles for advanced students or people new to a topic and more advanced articles for those requiring more detailed information.
- Serves as a reference work for advanced students as well as researchers in this field.
- Ideal library purchase for science, medical, and technology libraries in academia, government, and industry; medical libraries; networks and consortia covering these markets.
The Siren’s Song: This Death That Makes Life Live (Gerry Melino, Richard A Knight and Jean-Claude Ameisen).
The Origin and Evolution of Programmed Cell Death (Jean Claude Ameisen).
Cell Death in C. elegans (Ataman Sendoel and Michael O Hengartner).
Caspases and Cell Death (Lorraine D Hernandez, Caroline Houde, Maarten Hoek, Brent Butts, Donald W Nicholson and Huseyin Mehmet).
The Apoptosome: The Executioner of Mitochondria-mediated Apoptosis (Elisabetta Ferraro and Francesco Cecconi).
Caspases, Substrates and Sequential Activation (John G Walsh and Seamus J Martin).
Dismantling the Apoptotic Cell (Paula Deming and Sally Kornbluth).
The BCL-2 Family Proteins – Key Regulators and Effectors of Apoptosis (David L Vaux).
BH3-only Proteins (Lina Happo, Andreas Strasser and Clare L Scott).
Mitochondrial Outer Membrane Permeabilization (Melissa J Parsons and Douglas R Green).
Mitochondria Fusion and Fission (Giovanni Benard, Guihong Peng and Mariusz Karbowski).
Death Receptors (Peter H Krammer and Inna N Lavrik).
Death Receptors at the Molecular Level: Therapeutic Implications (Marion MacFarlane).
Death Receptor-induced Necroptosis (Wim Declercq, Franky Van Herreweghe, Tom Vanden Berghe and Peter Vandenabeele).
Inhibitor of Apoptosis (IAP) and BIR-containing Proteins (David L Vaux).
Structures, Domains and Functions in Cell Death (DD, DED, CARD, PYD) (Hao Wu and Yu-Chih Lo).
Structure and Function of IAP and Bcl-2 Proteins (Mark G Hinds, Peter D Mace and Catherine L Day).
Engulfment of Apoptotic Cells and its Physiological Roles (Rikinari Hanayama, Masanori Miyanishi, Hiroshi Yamaguchi, Jun Suzuki and Shigekazu Nagata).
Autophagy (María Isabel Colombo and Hans-Uwe Simon).
Autophagy in Nonmammalian Systems (Jahda H Hill and Eric H Baehrecke).
Apoptosis: Regulatory Genes and Disease (James E Vince and John Silke).
Caspases in Inflammation and Immunity (Philippe M LeBlanc and Maya Saleh).
Immunity, Granzymes and Cell Killing (Nigel J Waterhouse, Olivia Susanto, Karin A Sedelies and Joseph A Trapani).
P53 and Cell Death (Kamil Wolyniec, Sue Haupt and Ygal Haupt).
Cornification of the Skin: A Non-apoptotic Cell Death Mechanism (E Candi, RA Knight and G Melino).
Apoptosis: Inherited Disorders (Helen C Su and Michael J Lenardo).
From Reactive Oxygen and Nitrogen Species to Therapy (Scott R McKercher, Tomohiro Nakamura and Stuart A Lipton).
Microbial Inhibitors of Apoptosis (Georg Häcker).
Drug Discovery in Apoptosis (Tom O’Brien and Vishva M Dixit).