Essential Nuclear Medicine Physics, 2nd Edition
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This new edition provides a basic introduction to nuclear
physics and the interactions of radiation and matter. The authors
also provide comprehensive coverage of instrumentation and imaging,
with separate chapters devoted to SPECT, PET, and PET/CT.
Discussion of radiation biology, radiation safety and care of
victims of radiation accidents completes the text, with an appendix
containing the latest NRC rules and regulations.
Essential Nuclear Medicine Physics presents difficult concepts clearly and concisely, defines all terminology for the reader, and facilitates learning through extensive illustrations and self-assessment questions.
1. Basic Nuclear Medicine Physics.
2. Interaction of Radiation with Matter.
3. Formation of Radionuclides.
4. Nonscintillation Detectors.
5. Nonimaging Scintillation Detectors.
6. Imaging Instrumentation.
7. Single-Photon Emission Computed Tomography (SPECT).
8. Positron Emission Tomography (PET).
9. Combined PET/CT Imaging.
10. Quality Control.
11. Radiation Biology.
12. Radiation Dosimetry.
13. Radiation Safety.
14. Management of Nuclear Event Casualties.
A. Common Nuclides.
B. Major Dosimetry for common pharmaceuticals.
C. Sample Calculations of the S Value.
D. Guide to nuclear regulatory commission (NRC) publications.
She is a Director in the Division of Nuclear Medicine (Department of Radiology)for Boston Veterans Administration Healthcare System, Massachusetts.
Edward R. Powsner, MD:
Former Chief Nuclear Medicine Service, Veterans Administration Hospital, Michigan.
Former Professor and Associate Chairman, Department of Pathology at Michigan State University.
Former Chair, Joint Review Committee for Educational Nuclear Medicine Technology
Former Member, American Board of Nuclear Medicine
- Presents difficult concepts clearly and concisely by
simplifying complex language and defining new terminology
- Covers all essential topics including: instrumentation, SPECT, PET and PET/CT imaging, radiation biology, dosimetry, and safety
- New chapter on management of nuclear event casualties and new
appendix with NRC rules and regulations
- Clarifies concepts with numerous illustrations