Wittgenstein: Understanding and Meaning: Volume 1 of an Analytical Commentary on the Philosophical Investigations, Part II: Exegesis §§1-184, 2nd Edition
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
- New edition of the first volume of the monumental four-volume Analytical Commentary on the Philosophical Investigations.
- Takes into account much material that was unavailable when the first edition was written.
- Following Baker’s death in 2002, P.M.S. Hacker has thoroughly revised the first volume, rewriting many essays and sections of exegesis completely.
- Part One – the Essays – now includes two completely new essays: 'Meaning and Use' and 'The Recantation of a Metaphysician'.
- Part Two – Exegesis §§1–184 – has been thoroughly revised in the light of the electronic publication of Wittgenstein’s Nachlass, and includes many new interpretations of the remarks, a history of the composition of the book, and an overview of its structure.
- The revisions will ensure that this remains the definitive reference work on Wittgenstein’s masterpiece for the foreseeable future.