Facilitating Group Learning: Strategies for Success with Adult Learners
October 2010, Jossey-Bass
1. Introduction: Direct Education for Adult Learning Groups.
Part I: The Learning Group and the Individual.
2. The Role of the Individual and the Group in Direct Education.
3. Harnessing the Power of Intention.
4. Strengthening the Container: Subgroups Join the Mix.
5. The Secret Life of Groups.
Part II: Diversity, Difference, and Emotions in Group Learning.
6. Acknowledging Difference to Accelerate Learning.
7. Diversity and Conflict Styles.
8. Social Class and Diversity.
9. Authenticity, Emotion, and Learning.
Part III: Designing Learning Experiences.
10. Structures for Organizing the Content.
11. Building on What the Learners Know.
12. The Art of Timing in Adding New Knowledge.
13. Sequencing for Maximum Impact.
14. Accountability in Direct Education.
15. Emergent Design: Facilitating the Here and Now.
Part IV: Facilitation.
16. Setting the Tone and Building Safety.
17. Edgy Interventions to Accelerate Learning.
18. The Power of Framing.
19. Sensitivity in Cross-Cultural Issues.
20. The Drama of Transformational Work.
21. Conclusion: Bringing It All Together.
Appendix A: The Sustainable Educator: Advocacy, Modesty, and Diversity of Gifts.
Appendix B: The Sustainable Educator: Resilience and Revolution.
Appendix C: For Further Reading.
Appendix D: Tools and Resources for Direct Education.
George Lakey is visiting professor and research fellow for the Lang Center for Civic and Social Responsibility at Swarthmore College and cofounder of the nonprofit Training for Change. He is the author or coauthor of eight books including Grassroots and Nonprofit Leadership and A Manual for Direct Action.
Buy Both and Save 25%!
Facilitating Group Learning: Strategies for Success with Adult Learners (US $42.00)
-and- The Learning Self: Understanding the Potential for Transformation (US $42.00)
Total List Price: US $84.00
Discounted Price: US $63.00 (Save: US $21.00)