Gut Flora, Nutrition, Immunity and Health
April 2008, Wiley-Blackwell
This important book contains chapters covering the basic
principles of nutrition, gut microecology and immunology, as well
as chapters which discuss the way in which this knowledge may be
used to explain the positive and negative effects of food
consumption, metabolism, probiotics and prebiotics. Food
hypersensitivity and allergic reactions, carcinogenesis, and the
role of nutrition in the reduced immunity of the aged are also
discussed in detail.
The editors of this exciting and informative book, who between
them have a vast wealth of knowledge of the area, have drawn
together and carefully edited international contributions from many
well known and respected workers in the area. Gut Flora,
Nutrition, Immunity and Health provides essential information
for a range of professionals including nutritionists, dietitians,
food scientists, microbiologists, gastroenterologists,
immunologists and all personnel working in the development and use
of functional foods and supplements, prebiotics and probiotics.
Libraries in universities and research establishments where these
subjects are studied and taught, and pharmaceutical and food
companies should have multiple copies of this very useful book on
Roy Fuller is a consultant in gut microecology, based in Reading, UK; Gabriela Perdigón is based at the Centro de Referencia para Lactobacillus (CERELA) and at the Faculty of Biochemistry, Chemistry and Pharmacy of Tucuman University, Argentina.
1. The Intestinal Microflora (G.W. Tannock).
2. Food and the Large Intestine (S. MacFarlane and G.T. Macfarlane).
3. The Health Benefits of Probiotics and Prebiotics (G.R. Gibson, R.A. Rastall and R. Fuller).
4. Intestinal Microflora and Metabolic Activity (A. Perez Chaia and G. Oliver).
5. The Role of the Immune System (C.M. Riera, M. Maccioni and C.E. Sotomayor).
6. Behaviour of the Immune System in Eating Disorders.
7. Mucosal Immune System and Malnutrition (M.E. Roux, N.H. Slobodianik, P. Gauffin Cano and G. Perdigon).
8. Immune Activation versus Hyporesponsiveness and Tolerance in the Gut (J. Chin and A. Mullbacher).
9. Food Hypersensitivity and Allergic Diseases (R.K. Chandra).
10. Nutritional and Microbial Modulation of Carcinogenesis (R. Hughes and I. Rowland).
11. The Role of Nutrition in Immunity of the Aged (S. Walrand, M.-P. Vasson and B. Lesourd).
12. Conclusions (G. Perdigon and R. Fuller).