The Chemistry and Biology of Volatiles
This price is valid for United States. Change location to view local pricing and availability.
This is a Print-on-Demand title. It will be printed specifically to fill your order. Please allow an additional 5-6 days delivery time. The book is not returnable.
Other Available Formats: E-book
"… this book deserves to be a well-used reference in the library of any laboratory specialising in VOC". –Chemistry World, 2011
Volatile compounds are molecules with a relatively low molecular weight allowing for an efficient evaporation into the air. They are found in many areas of our everyday-life: they are responsible for the communication between species such as plants, insects or mammals; they serve as flavours or fragrances in many food products or perfumed consumer articles; and they play an important role in atmospheric chemistry.
This book takes an interdisciplinary approach to volatile molecules. Review-style introductions to the main topics in volatile chemistry and biology are provided by international experts, building into a broad overview of this fascinating field.
Topics covered include:
- The structural variety of volatile compounds
- Biogeneration of volatiles
- Synthesis of natural and non-natural volatiles
- Analysis of volatiles
- Volatile compounds as semiochemicals in plant-plant or plant-insect interactions
- Volatiles in pest control
- Pheromones and the influence of volatiles on mammals
- Olfaction and human perception
- Volatiles as fragrances
- The generation of flavours and food aroma compounds
- Stabilisation and controlled release of volatiles
- The impact of volatiles on the environment and the atmosphere
Buy Both and Save 25%!
The Chemistry and Biology of Volatiles (US $150.00)
-and- Student Companion to Accompany Fundamentals of Biochemistry, 4th Edition (US $88.95)
Total List Price: US $238.95
Discounted Price: US $179.21 (Save: US $59.74)