Fundamentals of Medicinal Chemistry
November 2003, Wiley-Blackwell
The title begins by reviewing the structures and nomenclature of the more common classes of naturally occurring compounds found in biological organisms. An overview of medicinal chemistry is followed by chapters covering the discovery and design of drugs, pharmacokinetics and drug metabolism, The book concludes with a chapter on organic synthesis, followed by a brief look at drug development from the research stage through to marketing the final product.
The text assumes little in the way of prior biological knowledge. relevant biology is included through biological topics, examples and the Appendices.
Incorporates summary sections, examples, applications and problems
Each chapter contains an additional summary section and solutions to the questions are provided at the end of the text
Invaluable for undergraduates studying within the chemical, pharmaceutical and life sciences.
1. Biological Molecules.
2. An Introduction to Drugs and Their Action.
3. An Introduction to Drug Discovery.
4. The SAR and QSAR Approaches to Drug Design.
5. Computer Aided Drug Design.
6. Combinatorial Chemistry.
7. Selected Examples of Drug Action at some Common Target Areas.
9. Drug Metabolism.
10. An Introduction to Lead and Analogue Syntheses.
11. Drug Development and Production.
Appendix 1. Sickle-cell Anaemia.
Appendix 2. Bacteria.
Appendix 3. Cell Membranes.
Appendix 4. Receptors.
Appendix 5. Transfer through Membranes.
Appendix 6. Regression Analysis.
Appendix 7. Enzymes.
Answers to Questions.
Selected Further Reading.
- A concise text which presesents the fundamentals of the subject
- Assumes little prior knowledge of the subject
- Includes numerous examples, applications and problems
- Each chapter contains an additional summary section and solutions to the questions are provided at the end of the text
"Thomas presents the fundamentals of medicinal chemistry in a clear, concise, and descriptive fashion.” (Choice, June 2004, Vol. 41 No. 10)
"...provides a concise introduction to the chemistry of therapeutically active compounds, written in a readable and accessible style..." (www.organische-chemie.ch, 19/01/2004)
“…well laid out, with an attractive typeface.” (Chemistry and Industry, 6th September 2004)