Stephens' Detection of New Adverse Drug Reactions, 5th Edition
Detection of new adverse drug reactions is fundamental to the protection of patients from harm that may occur as a result of medication. This book explores the methods used to investigate new adverse drug reactions, discussing all elements from the scientific background and animal toxicology through to worldwide regulatory and ethical issues.
Stephens' Detection of New Adverse Drug Reactions provides comprehensive and up-to-date coverage of material fundamentally important to all those active in the field, whether they work in the pharmaceutical industry, drug regulatory authorities or in academia.
The fifth edition of this classic reference work includes new chapters on:
vaccine safety surveillance
managing drug safety issues with marketed products
operational aspects of drug safety function
safety of biotechnology products
future of pharmacovigilance
Reviews of previous editions:
"This book surpasses all its educational aims. Not only is
the subject matter covered comprehensively but the material is
presented in a very user-friendly manner. The editors have
succeeded in producing a highly-specific, definitive reference book
which doubles as a most enjoyable read."
—Commended by the 1999 BMA Medical Book Competition
"For anyone entering the field of adverse reaction monitoring
one could not wish for a better primer"
—International Journal of Risk and Safety in Medicine
List of Contributors.
1. Introduction (M. Stephens).
2. Adverse Drug Reaction and Interactions: Mechanisms, Risk Factors, Detection, Management and Prevention (P. Routledge).
3. Toxicology and Adverse Drug Reactions (D. Snodin).
4. Clinical Trials: Collection of Safety Data and Establishing the Adverse Drug Reaction Profile (J. Talbot & M. Stephens).
5. Clinical Laboratory Safety Data in Drug Studies (A. Craig).
6. Statistics: Analysis and Presentation of Safety Data (S. Evans).
7. Causality and Correlation in Pharmacovigilance (S. Shakir).
8. Managing Drug Safety Issues with Marketed Products (P. Waller & H. Tilson).
9. Regulatory Aspects of Pharmacovigilance (B. Arnold).
10. Legal Aspects of Pharmacovigilance (C. Bendall).
11. Operational Aspects of the Drug Safety Function within a Pharmaceutical Company (J. Steiner).
12. Dictionaries and Coding in Pharmacovigilance (E. Brown).
13. Safety of Biotechnology Products (B. Brown and M. Westland).
14. Vaccine Safety Surveillance (E. Miller).
15. Ethical Issues in Drug Safety (M. Stephens).
16. A Model for the Future Conduct of Pharmacovigilance (P. Waller and S. Evans).
“Stephens' Detection of New Adverse Drug Reactions provides comprehensive and up-to-date coverage of material fundamentally important to all those active in the field, whether they work in the pharmaceutical industry, drug regulatory authorities or in academia.” (Kingbook73's Medical Ebook and Video Collection, 11 January 2014)"This book presents a comprehensive and wide-ranging overview of the science of pharmacovigilance. For those entering or already experienced in the pharmaceutical sciences, this is an essential work.” (E-STREAMS, August 2004)
"...a key text in the area of pharmacovigilance...extensively referenced and well-written...a valuable resource..." (The Pharmaceutical Journal, March 2004)
“…easy to read and understand…a book for the future as well as the present” (Pharmaceutical Physician, Vol.15 No.2 September 2004)
"…an outstanding textbook, particularly for aficionados of drug safety, drug interactions and adverse drug reactions." (Journal of the National Medical Association, Vol.97, No.3, March 2005)
“…well written…nicely referenced…flows logically…” (The Annals of Pharmacotherapy, Vol.38, September 2004)