Brain Energetics and Neuronal Activity: Applications to fMRI and Medicine
- Novel and potentially controversial
- Will inspire future research directions
Section A: Background.
1. Introduction (Douglas L. Rothman and Robert G. Shulman).
2. Energy Metabolism in Neural Tissues in vivo at Rest and in Functionally Altered States (Louis Sokoloff).
3. Techniques–MRS, fMRI, 13C NMR, Indirect Detection of 13C (Robin de Graaf).
4. Metabolic Modeling Analysis of Brain Metabolism (Graeme Mason).
Section B: Neuroenergetics and Activity.
5. Cerebral Energetics and Neurotransmitter Fluxes (Nicola R. Sibson).
6. NMR Studies of the Metabolism and Energetics of GABA Neurotransmitter Pathways (Kevin L. Behar and Douglas L. Rothman).
7. Neural Energy Consumption and the Representation of Mental Events (Simon B. Laughlin and David Attwell).
8. Imaging Cerebral Metabolic Rate of Oxygen Consumption (CMRO2) using 17O NMR Approach at Ultrahigh Field (Wei Chen, Xiao-Hong Zhu and Kamil Ugurbil).
9. Deriving Changes in CMRO2 from Calibrated fMRI (Fahmeed Hyder).
10. Relationship between CMRO2 and Neuronal Activity (Fahmeed Hyder and Hal Blumenfeld).
Section C: Clinical Beginnings.
11. NMR Studies of Bioenergetic Impairment in Human Epilepsy (Hoby P. Hetherington, Jullie W. Pan and Dennis D. Spencer).
12. MRS Studies of the Role of Altered Glutamate and GABA Neurotransmitter Metabolism in the Pathophysiology of Epilepsy (Ognen A. C. Petroff and Dennis D. Spencer).
13. The Role of Altered Energetics of Neurotransmitter Systems in Psychiatric Disease (Graeme F. Mason).
Section D: Brain and Mind.
14. Long-term Memory: Do Incremental Signals Reflect Engagement of Cognitive Processes? (Jed A. Meltzer and R. Todd Constable).
15. Using fMRI to Study the Mind and Brain (Bruce E. Wexler).
16. Brain and Mind: an NMR Perspective (Robert G. Shulman and Fahmeed Hyder).
17. The Role of the NMR Baseline Signal in the Study of Consciousness: the Restless Brain (Robert G. Shulman).